• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Defroster Motor heater coil not working?

Charger Fan

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:52 AM
Reaction score
Picked up a a complete defroster motor switch and wiring harness for my '73 Charger. Hooked it up to a 12 volt battery and all worked except I don't feel any warm air coming out of the blower.
The voltage for the motor goes through the heater coil element to get to the motor. The motor works fine on both high and low speed but I can't feel any warm air. If the heating element was bad I wouldn't have continuity through it and the motor wouldn't run. Why doesn't it heat up?

Picked up a a complete defroster motor switch and wiring harness for my '73 Charger. Hooked it up to a 12 volt battery and all worked except I don't feel any warm air coming out of the blower.
The voltage for the motor goes through the heater coil element to get to the motor. The motor works fine on both high and low speed but I can't feel any warm air. If the heating element was bad I wouldn't have continuity through it and the motor wouldn't run. Why doesn't it heat up?

A picture would be helpful?. If it's like my 69 rear defroster? The so called heating coil is a resistor for a lower fan speed. It doesn't heat the air much. And the airflow over the coil keeps it from burning up...do you have the two speed defroster switch?

I'm not real up on 73 Chargers, but I don't believe that they have electric heaters. I think the coils you are talking about are resistors that control the speed of the blower motor. You have a heater core that hot water passes through from the engine that the blower motor blows air across for your heat.

Are you,talking about a rear defroster?

That is a blower motor resistor, it makes the different blower speeds happen. It does not make heat for the car. The only heat is from the hot water in the heater core.

Heat from the heater core is heated by engine coolant. Rear defoggers don't have heating coils. They are defogger and not defroster.

Last edited:
If you are talking about the rear defroster all they do is draw cabin air in through the rear speaker hole on the drivers side and blow it up the rear window, using the heated cabin air to help defog the window.

Auto Transport Service
Back