• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Degreeing cam on my 505

hoover

Local time
4:01 PM
Reaction score
I am assembling my 505 for for fun street driving, so not likely to exceed 5500 -6000 rpm.
Cam is a comp (I know) with .525 lift 285/287 duration hydraulic flat tappet.
I will be running HP manifolds and stealth heads.
The cam is supposed to be installed at a 106 degree centerline.
It is coming in at 108.5.
The timing set allows for 4 degrees advanced or retarded.
Should i retard it to 104.5? Or just forget about the 2.5 degrees?

Thanks!

let it go, you most likely won't notice the difference if you went to the trouble of getting another timing set or whatever you need to make up the difference, my opinion only your mileage may vary

I've always liked to advance my cams but never did anything bigger than a 440. Helped a buddy do a 499 and we set it straight up iirc at the recommendation of someone he knew that did a similar build with a similar weight car.

What is the compression ratio? If it's low enough to run on pump gas easily I'd advance it.
Doug

104.5 would be advanced not retarded.
I would advance it as it will only become more retarded as the chain stretches

The recommended 106° install is the advance Comp grinds into it for the average customer for better bottom to midrange torque. That is also based on stock stroke 383 n 440. This is a 505" engine should already have a ton of bottom end. If the recommended install is 106° and it's coming in retarded to 108.5° and no valve interference, you can just run it there.

We are old school(from the direct connection mopar performance books) and allow 2 degrees for timing chain tension for what the engine actually will see under load. If you want the engine to "run" at 106 advance install it at 104. 104.5 is close enough. Leaving it at 108.5 the engine will be running 110.5. I would consider that retarded to much.

Is the cam already ground advanced? (I'll bet it is). IF it has advance ground in, I'd run it at the 108.5.
How much compression ratio. Too much advance+ too much compression=detonation.

Find me a Comp Cam hydraulic with those specs that he posted

106 Centerline
.525 Lift
285/287 Duration

Thanx

Find me a Comp Cam hydraulic with those specs that he posted

106 Centerline
.525 Lift
285/287 Duration

Thanx
Went through all 163 listings in Comp 383-440 Dodge/Chrysler. All 4 lifter types and found no match. It's Thanksgiving n I'm single, so had time on my hands.

bump it to the 4 degree advance spot and see how it comes out. It’s usually not an exact 4 degrees. I’d never start out 2 degrees retarted on a street engine. Better off to be on the other side. As the chain stretches it’ll fall right into place.

I am thinking you might have the XE 275HL

(110LSA on a 106 ICL)

Went through all 163 listings in Comp 383-440 Dodge/Chrysler. All 4 lifter types and found no match. It's Thanksgiving n I'm single, so had time on my hands.
Wish I was single today

My head is still pounding from all the crazies and I feel like I gained 10 pounds

I think it was this one

Screenshot_20221124-211410_Samsung Internet.jpg

This is the part number, 21-227-4. It does not show on their website if it has the 4° advance ground in. Do you still have the "Cam card" that came with it?
Screenshot_20221124-210422_Chrome.jpg

It does

I run the same cam in my little 383/432

Auto Transport Service
Back