• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Deleting torsion bar cross member?

Hemmit

Local time
2:54 PM
Reaction score
I recently ordered a new tranny crossmember. I noticed it has the torsion bar hex built in it. Must be a different year? Body? Should I just get shorter torsion bars and delete the torsion bar cross member?

what car are you asking about?

Maybe there was some confusion along the way.
Technically, the transverse crossmember that anchors the torsion bars also has a couple other functions. It connects the left and right rocker panels together AND supports the rearmost end of the transmission. The transmission rests on a bolt in crossmember sort of like the black one in this picture:
Val 31.jpg
Val 32.jpg

I assume you are doing coil over suspension?.......if so, cut off the sockets and fill in the holes as mentioned above

....and provides structural integrity of your floor pan
Just a word of warning since you are new, if you are going to ask specific questions about your car, make sure you let every one know what you have... just to keep from being raked over the coals....most here will be glad to help out.

Maybe there was some confusion along the way.
Technically, the transverse crossmember that anchors the torsion bars also has a couple other functions. It connects the left and right rocker panels together AND supports the rearmost end of the transmission. The transmission rests on a bolt in crossmember sort of like the black one in this picture:
View attachment 999957 View attachment 999958
That is the cross member I’m talking about. On my 73 the torsion bars pass through the transverse and are attached to a smaller torsion bar Behind it. I had to replace the transverse crossmember. The new crossmember has the hex instead of holes for the torsion bar to pass through.

81E50401-CDC4-464F-9315-9A1221DC6AC9.jpeg 21D43613-C8CF-4E55-98A4-06BFAFB8519C.jpeg 352A89CB-A8C2-4B19-93FB-976BD12DF968.jpeg

Oh, okay. The 73-74 design is another animal entirely. I'm not at all familiar with those!

The 73 torsion bars are longer than 72 and earlier, and also have a larger hex diameter. There is no easy work around. Get the right part.

Auto Transport Service
Back