• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Denso Starter install on my 440

NO! Would never do that! I have a friend that just built a Nova with a big block in it. He showed
me where he had to cave in the header on the driver's side to clear the steering box. 40% convex
dent! I would never do that. These days you were smart to order the headers uncoated and see
if they fit first! I just lucked out!

When it comes to mini starters and headers, you have to be ready to "make some adjustments". The mini is easier to get in than the stock Chrysler unit, although I had to drill out one of the mounting holes to get the bolt in and make sure that it disengaged from the flywheel when you let go of the key. The first one that I put in didn't and it didn't last long. I got the vendor to send me another one for free. Yeah it was a cheapo from e bay. It works great now. My headers are probably from the late 70's. I had to put a few dents in them to clear the spark plug wires and the tie rod, and the torsion bar as well, but they work good now. Im glad that I didn't pay much for all these headaches!! haha

NO! Would never do that! I have a friend that just built a Nova with a big block in it. He showed
me where he had to cave in the header on the driver's side to clear the steering box. 40% convex
dent! I would never do that. These days you were smart to order the headers uncoated and see
if they fit first! I just lucked out!

He's just messin wit ya, Paulie. lol

The "Hooker Adjustables" are from an era gone by! Bought them new in the eighties and
sent them off to Jet Hot and had them coated right away. And I didn't mention that I also
replaced the electrical terminal with the trick ninety degree thingy from Mancini Racing.
Thank you for clarifying that! I will look up thingy on their site and order one! Lol. I'm wrestling with that now with some old rusty headers on my 66. I was wondering why your electrical connections looked like that. This should make my install a lot cleaner. The adapter that comes with it hits the block and won't let the starter mount up flush.

No, I ain't! If his hooker adjustable are the same set as mine...... one tube goes through the inner wheelwell on each side. The holes were already poked on my car when I got it.
He's just messin wit ya, Paulie. lol

No, I ain't! If his hooker adjustable are the same set as mine...... one tube goes through the inner wheelwell on each side. The holes were already poked on my car when I got it.

Well ****. Pardon me!

Ignore the destroyed tire. Note the header tube routing. 7&8 go through the wheelwell.

20210605_095130.jpg

Mine have cyl#1&2 flange cut and trimmed, along with 7&8. Each side becomes a four piece header, front tube, two center tubes, and the rear tube, and collector. The holes in the fenderwell are cut big enough on my car to put the flange through the wheelwell after the engine is in place. Other wise the header tube would have to be in place before the engine is dropped in.

Auto Transport Service
Back