• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detailing Taillight Surround

440 4 speed

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:49 AM
Reaction score
I am going to attempt detailing it.
I would appreciate any advice pertaining to brand of paints, texture of finish etc.
What have you found successful.
Procedures you used, a good friend did the trunk medallion housing, detailed the letters in the dash knobs, sail panel emblems and 440 emblems.
Thanks FBBO

F58A6605-6BA6-4EA4-B825-732394DB0003.jpeg
D6C2F02E-A2C4-4465-AF4A-30846CC6AB0C.jpeg

Post #3 are pictures of part of the taillight surround. These aren’t the ones I will be using.
I have the black paint, but don’t know what to use for the argent, hence my question. Has anyone used priming etcher first?

Post #3 are pictures of part of the taillight surround. These aren’t the ones I will be using.
I have the black paint, but don’t know what to use for the argent, hence my question. Has anyone used priming etcher first?

I would scuff the paint with 320/garnet scuff pad, blow it off, use wax and grease remover, let it dry COMPLETELY. Then mask off whatever needs masking with yellow body tape and prime. I would not use self etching primer for this application. Follow instructions and keep the final paint and primer preferably the same brand or you could run in to problems with compatibility. Just my opinion, been there, done that.

I would scuff the paint with 320/garnet scuff pad, blow it off, use wax and grease remover, let it dry COMPLETELY. Then mask off whatever needs masking with yellow body tape and prime. I would not use self etching primer for this application. Follow instructions and keep the final paint and primer preferably the same brand or you could run in to problems with compatibility. Just my opinion, been there, done that.
Thanks!

I need to do mine also, what black paint are you using?

I need to do mine also, what black paint are you using?
I am most likely going to use SEM black trim, that is what was used on the fender, trunk and lettering in the instrument knobs. Also might buy a can of Dominion Sure Seal trim black.
Still don’t have a clue on what to use for the argent. Someone in the group must have done theirs you would think.

I am most likely going to use SEM black trim, that is what was used on the fender, trunk and lettering in the instrument knobs. Also might buy a can of Dominion Sure Seal trim black.
Still don’t have a clue on what to use for the argent. Someone in the group must have done theirs you would think.
you would certantly thing so, im not a body or paint person so I dont have any idea.

Auto Transport Service
Back