• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detroit Lockers on the Street

67Satty

Local time
3:37 AM
Reaction score
How brutal are they on the street? I've heard they are noisy and clunk, that doesn't bother me at all.

What I'm concerned about is cornering. There are pretty much no straight roads where I live. The dragstrip is going to be the only straight section of pavement the car will be on.

The kicker is that I plan on driving my car to the dragstrip, which is Barona, which happens to be down a very twisty, narrow, winding mountain road.

I've heard you have to coast through corners with them. If that's the case, it will take me forever to get there, it's nothing but corners on the way there!

So any opinions about running one on a street/strip car? Thanks!

There is more than one locker. Summit has a couple of nice street stripe lockers at a good price.

A friend of mine used one of those units that replaces the spiders in an open carrier. Works well in his 12.0 stocker Max Wedge, but if you use that unit make sure you use the "street" springs that are included. The "race" springs pretty much turn it in to a spool.

You should look into an E-Locker, Eaton makes one. On the street its an open dif, flip a switch and an electronic solonoid kicks it into a locker! Could be a wee bit pricey though. . .

http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/Produ...ucts/Products/Differentials/Elocker/index.htm

Also, I didnt see an application for a 8 3/4 so unless your running a Dana 60 your kinda SOL on that one. You might want to also check out the ARB Air Locker, THAN you could have a compressor for airing up/down tires as well as a locker at the track. . .

I run a Detroit Locker on the street and I havent noticed anything wierd in the corners. The one thing I notice is that when the locker engages, usually from a stop and under heavy throttle, it kind of shifts the car to the left. Its not harsh enough that it actually moves the car around, it just gives the feeling in the seat of the pants. Its in a ten second drag car that i drive on the street with a M/T et street on it. Overall I like it and it seems to apply softer as time goes on. I have had it in the car with this current drivetrain for 10 years.

My Dad has a locker in his Super Bee.The only time you hear any noise is when he backs up real slow or moves at parking lot speeds 10mph or less. Jim

I ended up picking up a used 489 case, 3.91, clutch-type suregrip for a really reasonable price. I'm going to have a local differential shop set it up with the crush sleeve eliminator kit.

Auto Transport Service
Back