• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Diagnosing Lean Cylinder

Mike67

Local time
12:14 PM
Reaction score
So i have a question, on a 440, RPM intake, Terminator EFI; cylinders 3 (worst) & 5 are running lean, enough to start getting the tube glowing. What are some other methods of finding the issue?
So far Ive sprayed the intake, throttle body, vacuum fittings with brake clean/starter fluid and get no change or indication. Ive swapped the injectors around, even dod the harness thinking maybe it was crossed.
The intake is brand new so no pitting or irregularities. Using regular gaskets and not the tub.Used gasket sealer on the gaskets before placing the intake on.
Im at a loss at the moment and other than putting the Torker II on Im out of ideas. Other than buying a for sale sign...
Thanks

Do you have 2 oxygen sensors? And of course do you have any exhaust leaks before said sensors...

Agree with you R413.

I’ve heard that EFI needs a single plane intake manifold. So that torker II might be the fix.
Ya Ive heard the same thing, Holley swears it works fine without milling a transfer slot in the divider. I went ahead and ran a 1" spacer to smooth out the air.

Do you have 2 oxygen sensors? And of course do you have any exhaust leaks before said sensors...
No sir just one. I had purchased an AEM to go on the unmonitored bank to verify but the gauge showed up DOA. Im going to move the sensor over to that side to see if it helps.
Ill also check my gaskets at the collector, didnt think about that!
Thanks!

whats the Compression in those cylinders?
I havent put a gauge on it to find true psi, but the last time I was entering specs on the calculator, it came out to 10.52.

Last edited:
whats the Compression in those cylinders?
So I went & tested my cylinder pressure....and this has added to my disappointment... Every single cylinder registered a lowly 120-122 psi. Could my cam cause that much bleed off? I really expected to see 175-190 psi.
Its Comp XE285HL- 241/247@ .050, 545/545, E close 35°. ATDC, E-Opens 85° BBDC, I-closes 69 ABDC & I-opens 37° BTDC.
I can't find the cam card and Comp has been unreachable this week but IIRC it was supposed to be installed @ 106° CL and I think I was able to get it to 104°. The cam is ground with 4° adv in it.
My brain is now mush after spending ( wasting ) a weeks worth of pto hoping to get this pos driveable. I have never been so pissed, disappointed, dejected & kicked in the nuts....I know how Clark Griswold felt during Christmas Vacation.
Thanks

If they're all the same that's the important part .

So you put the single plane on?

I also hooked up a vacuum gauge to full manifold and only got about 7".
I'm wondering if I screwed up when I degrees the cam and installed it retarded or I was retarded as I installed it...

I'm no pro like alot of these guys but the last time I had tubes glowing I had to advance the timing.

I have seen that tube glow before. The mixture still burning well into the header. Usually it is a timing issue. If you can't resolve it by a timing light then your cam is probably not correctly timed to the crank

It was brand new and all the cylinders were within a pound or two of each other, saw no reason to doubt it.
That's exactly why I asked, you expected 175-190 and while all were even they were 122. Why I'd verify the gauge is correct and not just reading 50 psi low..

Just a thought...
Did you open the throttle blades when you checked the compression, did you keep cranking till you got the highest reading?

Auto Transport Service
Back