• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did 1968 Chargers come with 400cid engines?

MykeNytemare

Local time
7:02 PM
Reaction score
A friend of a friend has a rebuilt 400 engine, never run since rebuild and only wants $500 for it. With all the leaks and issues with my 383, I'm considering buying it and putting my alternator and ps pump and other accessories on it and avoiding any further issues with the aforementioned non original late 70s 383.

He gave me these numbers off the engine 3698630, 400-7 and said it came out of his 68 charger.... Does that sound plausible?

No. An neither does a late 70's 383. The 400 replaced the 383 in the early 70's. Once in the car and dressed nobody could tell the difference without crawling all over it. Sounds like a good deal. I would go for it.

It might have been IN his 68 but it did not come there from the factory. The 400 didn't come along until 1972.

As they said above. 383's and 400's look identical so unless someone looks up the casting numbers or reads the stampings, there is no way to tell them apart. Btw, sounds like a great deal!

Cool, I think I'm gonna get it since all my 383 stuff will bolt on and save me the problem of messing with the rear main seal and heads on my 383.

72 model year was the first for the 400 so I think 7/71 is the earliest cast date and would be a 230 block.

It was common for all makes to bump up the Cubes in that era because of the pollution control crap resulting in a great bunch of motors that never got the proper recognition because they were born into the pollution era. My research has showed that the 400 is the best foundation to start with minus the HEMI for a BB Mopar, big bore in a smaller package that can be easily stroked. Enjoy

It was common for all makes to bump up the Cubes in that era because of the pollution control crap resulting in a great bunch of motors that never got the proper recognition because they were born into the pollution era. My research has showed that the 400 is the best foundation to start with minus the HEMI for a BB Mopar, big bore in a smaller package that can be easily stroked. Enjoy

This is true. 400 with a 440 crank is a great low budget build. They run real good

This is true. 400 with a 440 crank is a great low budget build. They run real good

I remember reading about these strokers back in the early nineties. Tons of torque and budget build. Best bang for the buck.
If I recall, using the 440 crank in the 400 block along with brand X connecting rods (for low cost) the build ended up at 470ci. Some fancy journal work needed to happen in order to use the rods though.

I'd still love to build one someday. Of course, now you can simply order a kit.

Auto Transport Service
Back