• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did a little racing last weekend.

383man

Local time
1:01 PM
Reaction score
My son and I drove our cars to the track on Oct 20th and raced in an NSS class. It had rained the night before and they said they could not get the track dry at the end so they made us run the 1/8 mile which I don't like. But we raced anyway and had a good time and my son was still in after 3 rounds when they called the race. It had gotten after dark and they said the track was getting to cool and seeping water. There was 6 cars still left in the NSS class and my son was one of them. So they decided to split the winnings between them and my son won $170. dollars !!

It was his and my first time racing in 2 years. It was a good feeling to watch my son doing good. Make this dad proud. In fact I was just going to go with him and watch him as I needed new slicks and could not afford then right now. So he went and bought me new 30 x 9 Hoosier radial slicks and put new M/T SS drag radials on his car as he had Hoosier QTP bias tires on it. I talked him into drag radials since he runs radials up front and he said it drives much better with radials on all 4 corners. Makes me realize I believe my ex and I raised them right as I told him I will pay him back and he said...…. no you wont dad. I had a problem with my 63 on my second time run as it slowed down by 1/2 second and 8 mph in the 1/8 ! I did what I thought would fix it so I ran it out the first round and I did fix it and I ran out by .002. Bummer was I had a .011 lite to the other guys .160. I could have easily backed into him for the win even though he ran right on his dail as I had a tenth and a half on him on the tree. But I did not care as I was very happy I fixed my car ! All in all we had a blast and drove the 45 miles home and no one broke anything. Ron

414041999.jpg

414042000.jpg

Last edited:
You are a blessed man, sir. Thanks for sharing and hope to hear more!

Nice to see you got it to the track.
Doug

sounds like a great time Ron
sounds like you raised a great son/kid too :thumbsup:

I bet it felt good even doing 1/8 ths :thumbsup:

You have a great and giving son there. Acorn from the tree!

My son and I drove our cars to the track on Oct 20th and raced in an NSS class. It had rained the night before and they said they could not get the track dry at the end so they made us run the 1/8 mile which I don't like. But we raced anyway and had a good time and my son was still in after 3 rounds when they called the race. It had gotten after dark and they said the track was getting to cool and seeping water. There was 6 cars still left in the NSS class and my son was one of them. So they decided to split the winnings between them and my son won $170. dollars !!

It was his and my first time racing in 2 years. It was a good feeling to watch my son doing good. Make this dad proud. In fact I was just going to go with him and watch him as I needed new slicks and could not afford then right now. So he went and bought me new 30 x 9 Hoosier radial slicks and put new M/T SS drag radials on his car as he had Hoosier QTP bias tires on it. I talked him into drag radials since he runs radials up front and he said it drives much better with radials on all 4 corners. Makes me realize I believe my ex and I raised them right as I told him I will pay him back and he said...…. no you wont dad. I had a problem with my 63 on my second time run as it slowed down by 1/2 second and 8 mph in the 1/8 ! I did what I thought would fix it so I ran it out the first round and I did fix it and I ran out by .002. Bummer was I had a .011 lite to the other guys .160. I could have easily backed into him for the win even though he ran right on his dail as I had a tenth and a half on him on the tree. But I did not care as I was very happy I fixed my car ! All in all we had a blast and drove the 45 miles home and no one broke anything. Ron

View attachment 673446

View attachment 673447
Ron, just to tell you again.....when I started my quest for speed, after installing my new 505"motor YOU and YOUR CAR were the first benchmark (goal) for me to hit...Thanks for that, Mike

Ron, just to tell you again.....when I started my quest for speed, after installing my new 505"motor YOU and YOUR CAR were the first benchmark (goal) for me to hit...Thanks for that, Mike

I think you have gone well past that benchmark Mike !! Your car is now a benchmark for many as it runs awesome. I wish I could get after my car some more but my health and budget make it pretty much out of the question. I am lucky just to keep my car maintained and running. One reason I don't race much is if I break something I could not even afford the parts to fix it right now. I am still paying on medical bills from having my knee replaced. So I figure if I just maintain my car and just cruise the streets I wont break anything and I can at least drive it when ever I like. I hope one day to get out from under my medical bills and maybe be able to save a little cash. But at least I have my car and can drive and enjoy it as is. Thanks , Ron

I think you have gone well past that benchmark Mike !! Your car is now a benchmark for many as it runs awesome. I wish I could get after my car some more but my health and budget make it pretty much out of the question. I am lucky just to keep my car maintained and running. One reason I don't race much is if I break something I could not even afford the parts to fix it right now. I am still paying on medical bills from having my knee replaced. So I figure if I just maintain my car and just cruise the streets I wont break anything and I can at least drive it when ever I like. I hope one day to get out from under my medical bills and maybe be able to save a little cash. But at least I have my car and can drive and enjoy it as is. Thanks , Ron
You go guy !

You go guy !
Ron, Yes the car is quite a performer. With the help, advice and direction from everyone here on B-Bodies and other buddies at the track I have been able to put my 3800lb sled to a PB 0f 10.15@131+....but...I accept the fact now that the car has reached its fullest potential without spending 3-4 thousand dollars to tub it for 14" wide slicks and install ladder bars or 4 link (which I am not going to do). I also cannot do anything to make more horsepower than my current estimated 750 because of my 2 bolt OEM 440 block...and I am ok with all of that...now it is just time to race it and have fun.

Still racing? God, racing has been over for damn near 2 months for me already! I've been busy on a Mopar though so the time has gone by quick.

Glad to hear that you got the 63 back out again Ron!

Ron, Yes the car is quite a performer. With the help, advice and direction from everyone here on B-Bodies and other buddies at the track I have been able to put my 3800lb sled to a PB 0f 10.15@131+....but...I accept the fact now that the car has reached its fullest potential without spending 3-4 thousand dollars to tub it for 14" wide slicks and install ladder bars or 4 link (which I am not going to do). I also cannot do anything to make more horsepower than my current estimated 750 because of my 2 bolt OEM 440 block...and I am ok with all of that...now it is just time to race it and have fun.

You are right as we know you are pushing the limits of the 440 OEM block. But it must be a great feeling to have it running so great. And you proved what I tell so many that you don't have to tub your car and run 14" wide slicks to run low 10's or even 9's. Not with the awesome tires of today. Mike you should be very proud of your car and how good it runs as it is one of the best running cars I know of for what is in the combo !! Keep that Mopar flying. Ron

Great story. You are blessed to have a son to go racing with! My dad used to race occasionally and he and my mom have come to the track to see me and my wife race. She has a 65 GTO which was the last car my dad raced, and won in.
Great looking red 63 Ron!
:thumbsup: :lowdown:

Auto Transport Service
Back