• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did NASCAR Daytonas and superbirds have vin numbers and fender tags?

luis9995

Local time
3:44 PM
Reaction score
Was curious as to if nascar birds and Daytonas had vins and fender tags assigned from the factory. Very curious. Was offered a Daytona to buy but I’ve seen signs that point to it either being a Daytona clone or a nascar Daytona. (More than likely a clone trying to be passed off as a real Daytona)

Did they? Places like Petty Enterprises built their cars from a body-in-white. Did those bare chassis already have numbers?

In white bodies were sold as a part through parts, not a completed vehicle. No VIN assigned, only a part# .

Part number was in a catalog, not on a body in white!

MoPar factory stock cars, like correctly mentioned above, had a plate in the engine compartment with a number assigned to them, by Nichels Engineering. It was a law in IL.

Was curious as to if nascar birds and Daytonas had vins and fender tags assigned from the factory. Very curious. Was offered a Daytona to buy but I’ve seen signs that point to it either being a Daytona clone or a nascar Daytona. (More than likely a clone trying to be passed off as a real Daytona)

Post pics. I'll tell you if it is real or not.

Post pics. I'll tell you if it is real or not.
No where near real. Saw pictures of under the hood. Looked nothing like a nascar Daytona. Just a really well done clone with the guy trying to pass it off as a real Daytona.

Are you aware that a few race wing cars were 'home made'?

I thought I read somewhere that once NASCAR approved the winged Daytona. Dodge teams simply added the wing and nose cone there already built Dodge Charger 500 race cars.

I thought I read somewhere that once NASCAR approved the winged Daytona. Dodge teams simply added the wing and nose cone there already built Dodge Charger 500 race cars.

Yes, true, if you already had a 500.
Nichels shipped the teams the nose, fenders, scoops, hood, wing and supports.
There were a few 'home made' wing cars in USAC, IMCA and ARCA.

West coast 'home made' Super Bird roundy round car making an appearance at the dealer he got it from.

home made bird race car.jpg

Another street car converted to race.
"Nascar" parts but not lowered like the 'real deals'.
Michigan%20Jim%20Malloy=1970%20USAC%20copy-S.jpg

Stumbled across this: Either a converted street car, or he just stuffed a street dash in it, still wearing a vin tag!! It's NOT a typical Nichels Engineering piece.
jim vandiver daytona with vin tag on dashboard!  WTF!.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back