• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did you ever regret selling your mopar?

Oldtimer

Local time
2:23 AM
Reaction score
Below - is the only picture I can find of my 1970 Dodge R/T 440 6-Pack, 4 Speed.

1970 Charger RT.jpg
I owned the car for about a year, while working at Overwaitea Foods Ltd., in a picturesque little town called Chemainus, centrally located upon Eastern coastline of Vancouver Island,
back in 1972. Originally, while visiting my parents & driving by Cherry Motors in Chilliwack, B.C., I couldn't help but notice the R/T, outclassing everything else they had on the lot.
I pulled in - grabbed the first salesman I could find, and took the car out on the #1 Hwy for a test spin. I stopped directly beneath the cloverleaf overpass and ran it through the gears.
The salesman almost had a bird!

The R/T was mint and tight as drum. After wheeling back into the dealership I traded my 72 Buick Skylark straight-across, driving away with this extremely cool 1970 Dodge R/T.
For about a year, I cruised the major highways of Vancouver Island and enjoyed sitting alongside the local drag strip in Cobble Hill, just to watch all the locals in action. Years later,
I learned - that while I was toiling away at work, my wife was slamming through my R/T's gears, or should I say, "her" R/T's gears, when ever she was challenged or felt that need
for speed. Nyce.

I will admit, that on one occasion, in downtown Ladysmith, I buckled to temptation. While sitting at the lights, a souped up 66 Chevy, pulled up alongside me in the curb lane.
I worked the stick in and out of first gear, a couple of times and come green, I released the full rage of all Mopar demons, upon the molten streets of Ladysmith.

After destroying 2 rear Firestones, I hung a quick left and snuck out of Dodge, before the Mounties figured out who was responsible for blanketing their town in smoke & abusing
the Queen's Highways. It's a chance we all take. Everyone has been there, I'm sure.

The next day, I had backed into my favorite parking spot at the local drive-in diner, located just down the highway from Chemainus, in another small town called Duncan, B.C.
A car-hop had just taken my order, when the same little Chevy, rumbled in to a stop, ka'chug-ka'chugging......, directly in front of me. Next, his co-pilot was seen - gazing down
and repeatedly pointing at the R/T, while exclaiming, "That F#&*ing thing is Hot!".

I looked him in the eye and nodded with a smile. Good times.

Ultimately, the day came, when I decided to leave Overwaitea Foods Ltd., and return to the Pacific North West region of British Columbia.
Married and with child, the R/T was sold to a slickster at a used car lot in Victoria, B.C., for a lousy $2000 dollars needed cash, and trading
this amazing R/T for a 1958 Ford Zephyr, similar to the 59 model shown at the bottom of this post.

Man o' man, that was absolutely the worst deal, I have ever made!
I have always kicked myself for selling that car!

I wonder where the old girl is today?
Does anyone think they know of it's whereabouts?

This - is a photograph, of a 59 Ford Zephyr (in much better condition) than the old beater, I received in Victoria, B.C., following the sale of my cherished R/T.

1959 Ford Zephyr.jpg

How many of you have a similar story?

Keep'On Rock'n Mopar!

Last edited:
I regret selling my Vitamin "C" orange 70 Challenger when I moved out West from Virginia in 1991.

Almost sold the Coronet one time. About ten years ago, got the idea to buy a modern driver. Thank God I didn't.

"Did you ever regret selling your mopar?"

My first Mopar was a 67 Charger, that also was my first bank loan lol, But my next three when i think of selling them as i did, that i hate. 69, 70, 68 Roadrunners, in that order, i do wish i would have held on to all.... :)

Moved and could only have 3 vehicle's outside at new location the wife's 68 Charger put us 1 over the limit and something had to go. Will never hear the end of it. That was 12 years ago. Should have just built a garage to park it in. Wore my 66 belv out 350,000 miles and lots of abuse miss it the most. After that just can not get myself to part with one.

The only car I really miss was my 67 coronet 500. I was young and dumb and needed the money. Some day down the road I'll get another.

sold my 1970 cuda 440-6 four speed back in 1981. my son needed tubes in his ears and my insurance wouldn't pay for it so it had to go.

Yes! Not once but twice! Just plain stupid!

69 charger and 73 charger!

In 83 I had a 69 Hemi Roadrunner. You decide!

Also, believe it or not, I regret selling my 85 Ramcharger. Always loved that truck.

#1. 1970 SE/RT Go-Mango Challenger....
Sold it to put down payment on a house...

#2. 1969 BOSS 302 VIN: 9F02G196980 (1 of 1,590 made)

Put a for sale sign in the window of my 64 Polara and drove it around town because i wanted something modern as a daily driver. Went home...realized i was dumb for even thinking of selling the most reliable car I've ever had and removed the sign. Still have him:icon_eyes:

Put a for sale sign in the window of my 64 Polara and drove it around town because i wanted something modern as a daily driver. Went home...realized i was dumb for even thinking of selling the most reliable car I've ever had and removed the sign. Still have him:icon_eyes:

Congrads!

yes we regret it but most of us that did sell them, had to for one reason or another ,only kept my 70 RR and now I wonder if I should have sold it ,I bought that car when I got home from VN :edgy: never been on a honey moon or a vacation been married almost 43 years :thinker:

Sold my 70 Saty ragtop to buy my current 70 RR (see my pic). I'm still torn over whether I made the right decision. I wanted more power. The RR is a gorgeous car but i miss cruising on those hot summer days with the top down. I prob should have just put a 440 4speed in the Satellite. :eek:ops:

Sold my '68 Roadrunner; shortly after finishing a refub on it, new paint, wheels, interior, shifter, and engine work Uncle Sam grabbed me for a two year hitch with him eventually to Germany. I got the itch for something new when I was getting out so I ordered a new '75 Vette in the PX in October of '74 to be picked up at a dealership in Norfolk, VA (the closest dealership for PX sales). Didn't get the Vette due to a GM strike in St. Louis where they were made at the time until Jan of '75. My Dad sold the Roadrunner and I never knew who bought it or where it went, and he can't remember. I still have the Vette but it's no where near as valuable as my Roadrunner would be had I kept it. With that being said I did have fun going to college with a new Vette!!!

Road Runner front view.jpgRoad Runner Interior.jpg

Yes to the question.
But what I regret even more is not having a decent camera and taking loads more pics of the cars I once owned. :3gears:

Auto Transport Service
Back