• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

difference between 14" disc brake spec wheel vs. drum brake wheel?

Evan Frucht

Local time
2:22 PM
Reaction score
I have a 1964 Plymouth fury, I was thinking about getting the 10.95 inch front disc brake kit from dr diff (on his website it says they will fit 14" disc brake spec wheels.) I was hoping to be able to use the original wheels that came with the car... already had new tires put on and painted them. They are original 1964 Plymouth wheels, 5.5 or 6 inch wide I believe. Can anyone confirm that kit will not work with my wheels? also what is the visual difference between disc brake spec wheels and normal drum brake spec wheels?

just measured. my wheels have a inner diameter of about 13.5 inch if that helps.

I don't know the difference, but Dr Diff does. Why not call and ask him?
I called him and we spoke today. what he told me on the phone was that they will only fit 14" disc brake spec wheels. the problem is I DONT KNOW WHAT DISC BRAKE SPEC WHEELS ARE? I wasn't aware that mopar made two types of stock 14" wheels (one meant for drums, and one meant for disc), can anyone confirm if this is even true? I asked Dr. Diff flat out "will the kit fit the original 14" wheels on my 1964 Plymouth Fury" and he was not able to give me a solid answer.

I am absolutely guessing here, but maybe the difference between the big hubcap centers, and the small cap centers?
If you have drums on your 64, and the original wheels, I think he's trying to tell you they probably won't fit.

I am absolutely guessing here, but maybe the difference between the big hubcap centers, and the small cap centers?
If you have drums on your 64, and the original wheels, I think he's trying to tell you they probably won't fit.
He didn't know.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what disc brake spec wheels are? Hard two imagine mopar make two different 14" wheels (one for stock drums and one for stock discs?) To make my question more answerable...

Does anyone have both an early (pre 65) 14" as well as one off a later (66+) disc brake car? Trying to get inner diameter measurement to compare if one in fact has a larger inner diameter.

You need to measure the caliper clearance on your wheels he can’t do that for you, and get the measurements for his kit and see if it will work with your setup.

His kit doesn't have that measurement. It only specifies the rotor size as 10.95." The inner diameter of my wheel is just shy of 13.5 inches. I took one off and measured myself. I would think he would have told me the clearance measurement if he knew it. He probably has never been asked to measure it as whole unit like that.

Last edited:
This is what you need from cass, I have a hard time believing he doesn’t know the measurements.

94605160-933A-4393-867C-1292DA04F728.jpeg

That I have no idea, guessing if it actually is a thing it has to do with back spacing.

These are the measurements you need from your wheels to compare, take not of any steps or drops in the drum. Measure your lowest points

7C1A6D3D-5ADB-4E29-83AF-63959F7219DD.png

Mate I don't know if this helps at all but I used a drum to disc conversion kit from PST that works with 14" wheels. It says on the instructions that as long as you have factory 10" drums then the 14" wheels with a 4-1/2" bolt pattern will fit (which they did).

Mate I don't know if this helps at all but I used a drum to disc conversion kit from PST that works with 14" wheels. It says on the instructions that as long as you have factory 10" drums then the 14" wheels with a 4-1/2" bolt pattern will fit (which they did).
ok thanks I'm going with the dr diff kit because of price and what I hear about the company, but nonetheless that's re assuring to hear. I would image the specs for each kit are similar if not the same.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I wasn't trying to push the PST kit (even though it was excellent), more that they are probably very similar in spec.

If you have a problem it will likely be the where the hub splays out and it welded on the outer ring.
I have SSB's on my Charger. Magnum 14 " wheels fit fine, stock wheels I needed to put a 1/4" spacer to move the wheel out away from the caliper.

MoPar disc brake wheels have flat centers between the lug nuts.
If you have 'lumps' between the lug nuts, you have a drum brake wheel...

Easiest way to tell. If the guy says you need to run the disc wheel, believe him and get a set or there will be an interference someplace.

Be prepared - they cost $$$.

Maybe apples and oranges here, but I have stock 14 inch magnum wheels. The Dr Diff brakes fit with no issues.

Auto Transport Service
Back