• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Digital dash hookup

Kelly Seely

Local time
9:38 AM
Reaction score
To all who knows anything about wiring.

I am putting in a Dakota digital dash in my 69 GTX. After removing the old instrument cluster the amp meter wires are just hanging there, I have no idea what to hook them to, but without them hooked up there is no power inside the car. Just hoping that someone could tell me what to do with the wires

You can bolt the amp meter wires together to complete the circuit. Make sure to insulate the connection well with electrical tape, heat shrink tubing or both.

I’m not sure what you mean…. Do I bolt the black and red wires together? That sounds like the opposite of everything I know

Now would be a great time to eliminate the entire ammeter wiring circuit. To do it right, you'll need to know how to solder and shrink wrap wires and know how to read a wiring diagram.
No offense to you. Not everyone is adept at electrical work. I have had help and am still a newbie compared to some guys here.

Now would be a great time to eliminate the entire ammeter wiring circuit. To do it right, you'll need to know how to solder and shrink wrap wires and know how to read a wiring diagram.
No offense to you. Not everyone is adept at electrical work. I have had help and am still a newbie compared to some guys here.

I’m not sure what you mean…. Do I bolt the black and red wires together? That sounds like the opposite of everything I know
The factory did some weird stuff.
The color of those wires does lead you to believe that one is negative and the other positive. The truth is, the red comes in from the main firewall bulkhead plug, runs to the ammeter then on the other terminal of the ammeter is the black wire that branches off to feed the ignition switch, headlights and fuse panel. It is positive going to and from the ammeter.

I can’t even spell electrical much less work on it I have heard people having problems with the black amp wire so you are probably correct on getting rid of the entire system

I've done it to three of my vehicles. If/when you decide to proceed with that, there are many threads on this forum that will assist you.
Good luck.

I've done it to three of my vehicles. If/when you decide to proceed with that, there are many threads on this forum that will assist you.
Good luck.
If I had the time and know how I would consider it, but if some purists want to restore this some day I would like to keep it as stock as possible

Pffft!
Stuff like that is easy to reverse.
Lots of people obsess over what the car will be worth one day. Lately, NON stock resto-mods are selling for the same or more than factory correct restorations.
My red Charger started out as a 318 car that in 100% stock restored condition would probably be worth half of what it is now.
It doesn't matter to me though. I didn't buy or build it to sell for a profit. I bought it because I wanted one of these cars since I was a kid.

2 Chargerz.jpg

Pffft!
Stuff like that is easy to reverse.
Lots of people obsess over what the car will be worth one day. Lately, NON stock resto-mods are selling for the same or more than factory correct restorations.
My red Charger started out as a 318 car that in 100% stock restored condition would probably be worth half of what it is now.
It doesn't matter to me though. I didn't buy or build it to sell for a profit. I bought it because I wanted one of these cars since I was a kid.

View attachment 1266437

I agree completely!!! Well bolting the wires worked, thanks a million for that. On to the next problem…… now my starter won’t turn over

Thank you.

I am putting in a Dakota digital dash in my 69 GTX. After removing the old instrument cluster the amp meter wires are just hanging there, I have no idea what to hook them to, but without them hooked up there is no power inside the car. Just hoping that someone could tell me what to do with the wires
Any Pics?

Hello Kelly, I am considering doing the Dakota digital dash conversion in my 69 GTX. I was wondering if they make a 150 MPH dash or did you go with the 120MPH. Do you think it makes a difference? Do you have any pics of yours. PM me if preferred. Thanks

The original style was not available when I bought mine but after finishing and running for a year plus a would go this route again. A ton of money but one of the best things we did to the car. Matching modern radio adds to it.

F33AD756-9A56-468E-8DE1-162E27BA8411.jpeg

Any pics of the car. Looks nice. I guess I will go with the 120MPH gauge cluster.

Auto Transport Service
Back