• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dim Headlights All the Time

slepr1

Local time
10:31 AM
Reaction score
I've searched the forum for 'Dim Headlights' and came up with info on dim headlights when at idle. My issue is dim headlights while the car is not running and at idle. The other lights...tail lights, markers, dash, interior all light up fine. I would think its a ground issue but I'm not sure where to look. Any help would be great.

First of all, take a voltage reading at the plug for the headlight. It should be very close to the voltage of the battery (a bit of lose due to wiring resistance is expected). If it's a lot lower, find out why. I'd suspect the switch or a bad ground. Running a relay usually results in much brighter lights and is a satisfying upgrade.

Usually a sign of an original harness well beyond its usefulness.. rewire the whole car do the upgrades or pick away at countless problems due to old wire the bulk head connection is my first stop then grounds....

I had same issue and it was the ground(s) at each light. Cleaned and hooked up and much better.

That said though, sleepar is correct. I'm getting ready to rewrite the car. Old wires suck and even though they look good, they don't run current as they should. I don't want any fires in this car! Good luck! Keep an extinguisher handy!

Is it possible it is the bridge rectifier on the alternator?

I'm not sure what a bridge rectifier is? Would the alternator have anything to do with the problem if the problem exists when the car is not running and running?

Dim Headlights

I've searched the forum for 'Dim Headlights' and came up with info on dim headlights when at idle. My issue is dim headlights while the car is not running and at idle. The other lights...tail lights, markers, dash, interior all light up fine. I would think its a ground issue but I'm not sure where to look. Any help would be great.

slepr1

Here is a sight to check out.

Jeff

http://www.madelectrical.com/electrical-tech.shtml

I installed a headlight relay last year and it made a world of difference.

Some one on this site sells a relay kit, that is really nice from the pics I've seen. I can't remember his name though.

Not sure which car you're driving, but many have a ground near the radiator right by the battery. If that one gets too dirty, the headlights will completely stop working. Happened on my '64 Belvedere. I removed the bolt and cleaned the connections, and the headlights worked fine once again.

if your car has a foot dimmer switch look there also. i had a 68 camaro that the low beams quit on me and that plug going to the dimmer was coroded. just a thought.

I had this issue on my 68 bee. I eliminated the Bulkhead connector (I know this sounds cheap... but I did it nicely) with 3 sets of water proof pickup/trailer connectors. 6 prong plugs. - they're water proof, heavy duty and make good connections. (basically set it up into 3 sections) one (6 prongs each) set of connection for engine - lights and then wipers and stuff. these connectors are on the inside of the firewall now. When you take your bulkhead plugs apart - you'll see what a terrible idea this original system is. I ABSOLUTELY recommend you do the mad electrical ammeter bypass and hook your alternator power source to you starter relays constant hot. (with the proper fusible links) with the orginal bulkhead connectors and the ammeter hooked up - -- My car almost went up in flames... due to the ammeter shorting out to ground. If your electrical system is stock - it could be very dangerous. I would not skip this step. I used the 6 prong trailer connectors because it saved me hundreds of dollars in a new harness - I still may replace one day - but even then with the new harness you still gotta do the ammeter bypass and charging system upgrade in order to get the heavy current out of the bulkhead and dash of your car. Anyway - ALL my lights Burn NICE and bright now.

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot to mention - I went through all the wiring - You might be surprised how often mice like to chew on wiring in a 40 year span. This kind of thing causes resistance. I also cleaned up the headlight switch terminals and installed a nice new ground strap from my block to the firewall, and one from the battery to the fender.
Heres a link one of the other members gave me. There are some really great guys on here! Print yourself out a wiring diagram... It looks intimidating but if I can handle it - you'll be fine.
http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=27

Update...Fixed

Thanks to all who replied with advise. Lucky for me it was a broken ground on the lens connector on one side and a removed ground wire on the other. I'm thinking about the relays anyway because I have HID's ready to install.

One of the nice things about HID's is that they use less power than regular or halogen incandescent lamps. What housings are you using for the HID's?

Auto Transport Service
Back