• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ding Dang Lifters

padam

Local time
2:38 PM
Reaction score
I bought a whole cam kit from Lunati, hydraulic flat tappet.
I inspected the lifters this morning
15 good ones,
1 mics .9025, the factory spec is .9035-.9040.
It also has a diagonal gouge from the grinding wheel.
I'm not sure if I should use this.
IMG_20210508_113658478.jpg

Also some of the rattle when you shake them, others don't.

I'm going to go back out and check the crown on the face.

The days are gone where you could buy parts and install with some amount of confidence. You have to check everything. I just turned my brand new brake drums as they were machined off center.

Quality control on new parts just sucks you pay good money for new parts then have to deal with issues like this .The final consumer you and us get screwed again, (rant over thanks):mad:

Does LUNATI manufacture Lifters now ?

I caught them about 10 years ago with their advertisements of the "Micro-Trol" high rpm Lifters for BB Mopars when I took a bunch apart for comparison ?
Long story short....
they finally admitted over the phone NO SUCH THING for a BB Mopar because they didn't make the Lifters ?
So do they make their Lifters NOW ? or Buy/Re-Box them ?

Not in the plan.

I'm a little rusty at this as I haven't taken any F.T. Hydraulics apart lately.... 5-6 years maybe ?
but 'rattle-test' aside because that could just be lack of the silicon based test fluid used....
if I remember correctly....
you could tell the offshore junk by taking them apart.... whereas the internal metering was a Spring and "wafer" on the CHINA-junk ?
Versus,
the North American made was still using a Spring pushing on a "ball bearing" to seat system ?

There was also a distinct difference in the grams weight required to unseat the "wafer" Vrs the "Ball" internal sealing.... the CHINA was pretty much diddly.
but no matter
just say'in.....
if you take one apart and find a Spring/Ball Bearing system internal it's a good sign... then it's just trying to determine the actual metallurgy as CHINA or Not ?(much harder)
and conversely IMO... if you take one apart and find that spring/"wafer" deal ? RUN FORREST .... RUN !

I did take one apart. There is no ball bearing.
They all got to rattling after I shook them up good.
It's tough to make a decision about lifters.
This engine is sort of a short term deal to keep racing till I'm in a position to build a much better engine.
I'm trying to do a low buck rebuild, but I run into this stuff at every turn.
I don't want to spend a bunch on valve train for my iron heads now, and need new stuff next year for aluminum heads.
Cam companies all say you have to use thier new lifters or no warranty.
I considered Johnson lifters, but there's some confusion over who makes them and where to get them.

So I want to stay with the non- adjustable rockers I have.
Pretty sure I will go solid roller next time.

Rhoads Lifters I believe uses hylift Johnson bodies. Imo Rhoads are some of the better quality hydraulic lifters you can buy, they machine them different then anyone else. Vmaxs are the best if you have adjustable valvetrain...you can adjust them to where they will perform like a solid. The original Rhoads make lots of noise...some hate it. Vmax you can tighten them up and the noise will be a lot less.
I doubt anyone's cam warranties are worth much now days. They likely will say wrong break in procedure and say tough luck.
I think Bullet cams carries hylift Johnson lifters. You could try them.

Last edited:
I can probably get a set o Rhoades lifters today.
In your guys opinion, is it ok to use them on a Lunati cam?

I have yet 2 hear any issues with a XE of voodoo with rhoads. We have original rhoads on a comp 284XE and Rhoads Vmaxs on a crower. The next engine being built we are trying a pontiac w Rhoads vmaxs on a bullet hydraulic roller cam, which is significantly more aggressive then a voodoo.
Beware...The original Rhoads does sounds like a sewing machine at idle.... If you don't like the noise, I would not recommend them. It does make a difference on torque though. Going with Vmax and a adjustable valvetrain you can make the noise pretty much disappear. But more expense.

Last edited:
I have a set of Rhoads waiting for me at summit.
Noise doesn't bother me much.

The Rhoads lifters I got all check in spec.
The bottom corner break is more uniform and smoother.

IMG_20210514_134724088.jpg
IMG_20210514_134734315.jpg
IMG_20210514_134708466.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back