• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disappointing Day at the Track

padam

Local time
11:55 AM
Reaction score
I got my car ready to race this weekend after breaking a u-joint on the 4th of July.
I went to Magnolia drag strip in Ohio.
After about 4 cars ran their 1st time trial, the Christmas tree malfunctioned.
Spent the next 2.5 hours waiting while they worked on it, till they finally threw in the towel and gave us all passes.
I give the staff credit for trying to fix it.
I'm just disappointed, after being out of action for 3 weeks.

that sucks ,what was the temp there? Nice track? Hope you see the track soon and be safe.

What ,why no hand raise like we did in the old days or drop a bra
Drag-racing-flag-starter-from-the-late-1950s-scaled.jpg
2018-hot-rod-dirt-drags_259-1.jpg
nvk8uy-b88482988z.120151001142321000gjkcb650.10.jpg

Last edited:
What ,why no hand raise like we did in the old days or drop a bra
That's what I was thinking. Looked like the problem started with the top amber not working on one lane. They could have used a pro tree maybe.
Pretty soon they were going through about 60 wires.
It was only about 90 degrees with about 90% humidity.

sucks

at least with an arm drop you could have
ran down the track, got a lil' fun out of the way
for your efforts

no timing system that way,
or no tree activated timing anyway
still fun

sucks

at least with an arm drop you could have
ran down the track, got a lil' fun out of the way
for your efforts

no timing system that way,
or no tree activated timing anyway
still fun

Yeah my car was in the staging lanes about 4 pairs back the whole time until they called it a day.
Then as soon as I put it on the trailer, guys start making passes (guy that runs the track first.)
Thinking about moving to Quaker City or Dragway 42. I'm not quite ready to step my game up though.
My helmet is out dated and I think I may need a rollbar if I go faster than 12.50.
Can anybody here compare those 2 tracks, likes/dislikes?

Well,Quaker had a reputation for a little "downhill " on the track(?). I always ran about a .10 faster than 42. Saw "dvw " there 2 yrs ago for N/SS, he came all the way from Michigan.

How we do it here since the track shut down. Eighth mile action starts at minute 1:25. This takes place about a mile from where we are living.

Some years ago the starter was killed. I believe the tragic incident took place at night and there had been some drinking involved and the "return road" being used was the main drag strip.

Last edited:
Yeah my car was in the staging lanes about 4 pairs back the whole time until they called it a day.
Then as soon as I put it on the trailer, guys start making passes (guy that runs the track first.)
Thinking about moving to Quaker City or Dragway 42. I'm not quite ready to step my game up though.
My helmet is out dated and I think I may need a rollbar if I go faster than 12.50.
I believe if IIRC
the NHRA mandates for a rollbar/min. is anything faster/quicker
than 11.50 1/4mile ET or IIRC 7.30 1/8th mile ET
chute is mandated at 150mph 1/4 mile too

still good to have all the proper safety equipment too
up to date Snell rated helmet, belts, seats, brakes, wheel-studs,
driveline safety-loop (with slicks) roll bar/cage if needed
no brake-lines across the firewall, exterior rearward/ignition kill switch
a fire extinguisher onboard & even tires with the proper speed ratings
& a few others

good luck & have fun

QUOTE="Dibbons, post: 911963776, member: 19203"]How we do it here since the track shut down. Eighth mile action starts at minute 1:25. This takes place about a mile from where we are living.
Like the wild west down there huh.
Some years ago the starter was killed. I believe the tragic incident took place at night and there had been some drinking involved and the "return road" being used was the main drag strip.

[/QUOTE]

I like Quaker City I have raced there on and off since 1982. The program always moves slow. When they were still running a Sunday program we never got out till 130a. Yes thats 130a Monday morning.
It does move a little better. Tech is pretty basic. They look at belts a quick glance under the hood and you are done. They have never checked my helmet or neutral safety switch. I wouldn't worry if they did as both are proper.

As far as being faster than other tracks I don't know anyone that has that happen. The track runs up hill from 1/8th on. I mph 2-2.5 slower and about 1/10th slower than Norwalk or 42.

The track isn't as nice as 42 but the pits are WAY better. Until 42 brings in some fill to level out the pit area to the pit roads I won't be back.

Here are my thoughts on Mag yeah its frustrating at times. There equipment isn't as good as other tracks but you will not find a nicer group of racers anywhere. If you have a problem there are always multiple people who will help. If you are new to the spot racers will give you tips to make you a better racers. You just have to strike up a conversation.

Sorry to be long winded. I have a tendency to ramble.

I like Quaker City I have raced there on and off since 1982. The program always moves slow. When they were still running a Sunday program we never got out till 130a. Yes thats 130a Monday morning.
It does move a little better. Tech is pretty basic. They look at belts a quick glance under the hood and you are done. They have never checked my helmet or neutral safety switch. I wouldn't worry if they did as both are proper.

As far as being faster than other tracks I don't know anyone that has that happen. The track runs up hill from 1/8th on. I mph 2-2.5 slower and about 1/10th slower than Norwalk or 42.

The track isn't as nice as 42 but the pits are WAY better. Until 42 brings in some fill to level out the pit area to the pit roads I won't be back.

Here are my thoughts on Mag yeah its frustrating at times. There equipment isn't as good as other tracks but you will not find a nicer group of racers anywhere. If you have a problem there are always multiple people who will help. If you are new to the spot racers will give you tips to make you a better racers. You just have to strike up a conversation.

Sorry to be long winded. I have a tendency to ramble.
Not long winded, the more info the better.
So Quaker moves slow huh, man I thought Mag was slow.
I guess I will eventually get around to trying them all, see which I like best.

Well yesterday it was just embarrassing.
Went to test and tune
Track had the tree fixed, but it felt like I had never drag raced before.
Spun the tires on the 1st run with a red light.
Missed 4th gear twice, which I have never done before ( maybe my new clutch stop is a little high.)
I made about six passes before they got ready for the gamblers race. 2 out of the last 3 were pretty good so I felt like I was settling down, then a track official came up and told me i was laying down oil, so I couldn't run anymore.
I'll be damned if I can see where it's coming from.
I'll be out for awhile.
I have a side project that I have to get done, and splitting my time just won't work anymore.

Auto Transport Service
Back