• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disc brake conversion question

DWinTX

Local time
5:25 PM
Reaction score
I'm doing a front disc conversion on our 65 Coronet using the 76-up A-Body spindle. I want to use the 11.75 rotors from the 78 B-Body. I need to get a booster and master cylinder. Can I use the booster/master from the 78 B-Bodies as well? The B booster show to use an 11.25 diaphragm and the A uses 10.75. I don't really know what diaphragm size does. Is it the bigger it is, the more assist it produces? Do you need the extra boost for the bigger rotors?

The other question I have is about the M/C pushrod. If I'm reading Ehrenberg's Disc-O-Tech article right, you can use the original drum pushrod. But I'm not sure if he means only on 67-up cars. Anybody know?

The size of the diaphragm only helps with the assist, and I assume (yeah I know) that these are both single and not dual diaphragms. I dont enough to properly answer your question and would only be taking a shot in the dark. Im sure others will chime in and point ya in the right direction.

There are actually two boosters for a 78 B-Body with the 318. One is a 11.25" single and the other is a 9.25" dual. I have no idea why. Did those cars have 4-wheel discs as an option? Maybe the dual was for them?

Thanks for the links HT. The first one doesn't have anything for 76-up stuff, but that second one was really helpful. Based on what I read there I should be able to use the 78 Cordoba M/C and booster.

The Cordoba M/C is a disc/drum piece and my system will be disc/drum, so I shouldn't have to worry about that aspect, which was mentioned in the article.

I looked at the Napa site and compared the calipers, pads and rear shoes between a 76 Dart and a 78 Cordoba. The were the almost the same. Both cars listed 2 rear shoe options. The Dart had 9" and 10", and the Cordoba had 10" and 11". That may be why the Cordoba has two booster options as I mentioned above. The dual booster must be used with the 11" rear brakes. My Coronet has 10" rear brakes, so I think if I get the 11.25" single Cordoba booster, that will match up with my front and rear brakes.

The front calipers and pads were the same if you selected the front mount calipers. I guess they had both back then. Seems weird, but that's what the NAPA site shows. The Disc-O-Tech article stresses that you must mount them on the front of the rotors for correct hose routing.

So the bottom line (if my conclusions are correct) is that using the 11.75" rotors and the 78 Cordoba M/C and booster, I'll basically have a 78 B-Body brake system. My spindles will be the only thing that are really 76-up A-Body, and those aren't really part of the braking system. So those brake system parts should all work well together. Anybody see anything wrong with this logic?

The only thing I'm still not sure about is the 78 Cordoba pushrod being compatible with my car, or having the ability to use my existing drum pushrod in the new MC/Booster. And whether one of the brake line companies have lines that I can buy pre-bent, or whether I'll have to make my own. Inline Tube shows a line kit for a 65 B-Body for use with a dual M/C conversion, but it doesn't specify whether that's still using the front drums, or converting to discs.

The other thing I haven't even considered is what distribution block and/or proportioning valve setup I need to use. The original brake systems just used a non-adjustable block for distributing the pressure properly, right? Don't know where I'll get one of those.

I really dont know much about specific boosters, but the power brake pushrod is longer than the manual pushrod. if yours doesnt work, just order an adjustable one.

Auto Transport Service
Back