• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disc Brake Rotor WORRIES???

68 Sport Satellite

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:13 AM
Reaction score
A little over a year and 1000 miles ago I installed 1" thick x 11.75" front disc rotors. Bought them from Napa auto. I've been running 15x7" steelies up front with the 10-hole unilug pattern. I ordered new wheels last week and when they came in a few days ago I pulled off the steelie on one side and test fit the new centerlines to make sure they'd clear the disc brake calipers. They fit no problem. However, I noticed the drum part of my rotor looks like crap! I expected the 5 rust spots where the 5 un-used holes on the unilug wheel are, but I did not expect the 5 long wear marks around the edge of the circumference shown in the photo here. I looked inside the steel wheel and it had the same marks.

Is this expected? Is it bad? - it looks bad. Does this mean something is not fitting correctly or rubbing where it shouldn't? Do I need to replace my rotors and do something different before I mount my new wheels to prevent this from happening again?
Wheel Rotor.JPG

By the way, before I install the new wheels, can I and should I paint the face of the rotor drum where the lug bolts are to prevent rusting?

Hell yes you can! I bought black zinc plated cross drilled rotors for mine and where the pads rides, thats the only place where the zinc plating has wore off, but it is supposed to that.

It's only touching the back surface of the wheel and is a non-wear area .. so yes. Yes you can.

It looks fine to me. All my trucks have spots and marks like that where the wheels touch/don't touch the edge of the rotor (the drum part, as you describe it) and it never hurts anything.

I wouldn't worry about it, but if you want to paint it, why not?

Just my opinion!

as long as they are just marks and not grooves they are normal.if a groove starts to were into the rotor that would indicate movement of the wheel against the rotor and you may not have lug torque correct.

That's what I was wondering about is the lug torque. I've historically only tightened by hand and a few people have recommended I tighten with a torque wrench because it's actually possible to OVER-tighten by hand. The marks are very shallow impressions from the wheel, but they are not sharp grooves.

as long as they are just marks and not grooves they are normal.if a groove starts to were into the rotor that would indicate movement of the wheel against the rotor and you may not have lug torque correct.

That is the reason I had my rotors and drums powder coated. But a little surface rust isn't anything to worry about just cosmetics.

Auto Transport Service
Back