• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

disc brake swap on 68 charger

cheno2

Local time
4:17 AM
Reaction score
I have person that recently came into my shop(dealership). He has an 68 charger in (another shop) being held hostage. He has them doing a disc brake swap from an 86 diplomat(cop car). They are also swapping steering gear as well. Do they need to switch master cylinder/ booster as well??? The charger is a power brake car. I told them the original master cylinder/ booster should work.?.? Am I correct. Also will that steering gear work? Will he need a different coupler from colum to str.gear? He not sure if he should have used this shop or not as they want "everything" new. I would like to help him and may even offer assistance at my personal shop.
Thanks in advance for any help.

I'm assuming the charger is now a drum brake car. The drum brake master will have to be changed. The drum brake power booster will work but it will require a little more foot pressure. The factory disc brake booster was a bendix dual diaphragm booster. The drum brake booster is a single diaphragm booster. Seems like 68 used a small spline pitman arm. 73 and up used a large spine pitman arm. So they would have to use the pitman arm from the 86.

Auto Transport Service
Back