• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disc brake upgrade?

Anviltester

Local time
6:33 AM
Reaction score
have a 67 coronet rt with stock discs up front. Just had a stock (1 piston) caliper stick for the 2nd time the other day. does anyone make a 2 or 4 piston setup for the front that will replace the single slider units?

Sure, lots of conversion kits are available but my guess is that you have some other problem. Was your car converted over to late model brakes at some point? You might need to post a picture so we can see what things look like. There are a lot of ways for a conversion to get messed up so maybe there is a mechanical problem with your existing brakes.

Have you disconnected the rubber brake hose on the stuck caliper? If that lets the caliper release, replace the rubber lines on both front calipers.

If disc brakes were on a 67 Coronet R/T, they were 4 piston calipers from the factory. If you have single piston calipers, something has been changed.

The car was swapped years ago to the single piston sliders from drums (i was told). I replaced all the hoses , calipers, hardware, rotors, pads, etc a year ago (almost to the day). was driving and the front pass just started smoking. you could feel it pulling. Just don't want to put the same back on and have the same problem. i will try to get some pics up in a day or so but any ideas?

Upgrades are great, but I would want to know how & why it stuck. Pull the caliper and pop out the piston, see what the bore looks like. An air compressor is your friend here.

Before I re invent the whole system, I would replace the caliper. If it's a remanufactured caliper, it could have been poorly rebuilt. So many parts are bad these days.

The car was swapped years ago to the single piston sliders from drums (i was told). I replaced all the hoses , calipers, hardware, rotors, pads, etc a year ago (almost to the day). was driving and the front pass just started smoking. you could feel it pulling. Just don't want to put the same back on and have the same problem. i will try to get some pics up in a day or so but any ideas?

A lot of people use the wrong parts when they do these conversions. Wrong calipers, wrong hoses, etc. Without some pictures I can't tell you if you have the correct parts and if they are correctly mounted. For example, if your brakes hoses are kinked then that might be the problem. Or if you don't change your brake fluid on a regular basis then perhaps the piston rusted in the bore.

The single piston setup is very reliable if it is properly installed and maintained. That is why I think you have some other issue. You can buy new calipers from Doctor Diff as well as the correct hoses.

A lot of people use the wrong parts when they do these conversions. Wrong calipers, wrong hoses, etc. Without some pictures I can't tell you if you have the correct parts and if they are correctly mounted. For example, if your brakes hoses are kinked then that might be the problem. Or if you don't change your brake fluid on a regular basis then perhaps the piston rusted in the bore.

The single piston setup is very reliable if it is properly installed and maintained. That is why I think you have some other issue. You can buy new calipers from Doctor Diff as well as the correct hoses.

I agree....however, sometimes, if using a typical auto parts store (Cardone) rebuild unit, you'll get either a caliper with a steel chrome plated piston or a piston made from a phenolic (hard plastic). The intent was to eliminate or reduce corrosion due to moisture. This moisture related corrosion can be eliminated by using DOT 5 silicon based fluid. Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back