• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disc conversion question.

Sprad

Local time
6:53 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys. I’m trying to convert my 70 RR front drums to disc and books tell me to use later discs from cop cars or for taxis. I found a set from a 77 van that look like they will work but I’m asking if any one here knows. I will post the pics of what I’d here.

Another question. Im trying to figure out what rear end this is. Any one know?

75E04CD6-5B05-4880-82C1-7A6DAE011476.jpeg BFCB3D76-A844-4755-A5F3-EB818EB1003A.jpeg A7EEB8AB-7673-4155-B571-D79D0BB66451.jpeg E185D419-EE67-4514-B920-A49B56E0968C.jpeg

A '77 van is not a cop car or taxi !! I think the reason they're suggesting that is for the large rotors but without knowing where you're getting the info nobody will know for sure. My suggestion would be to find the "disc-o-tech" article and do exactly what it says.

Looks like a 9-1/4 rear end

rear ends.jpg

Thank you for the quick response. I was in the local junk yard looking for the cars but we found the van, no cars.
The book I was referring to is the one below.
Where do I find the article you mentioned?

image.jpg

Thank you for the quick response. I was in the local junk yard looking for the cars but we found the van, no cars.
The book I was referring to is the one below.
Where do I find the article you mentioned?

View attachment 888767

20 years ago you could go to a wrecking yard and find some late model cars to pull disc brakes off of but I suspect those days are long gone. These days it is easier to just call Doctor Diff and order the parts. Doctor Diff has reproduction knuckles and caliper brackets for sale. He also has the correct calipers for the swap and the right hoses.

In some cases, you can get lucky and find a 1978-89 Diplomat or Gran Fury Police car in a Pick N Pull yard. They ALL came with front disc brakes. The knuckles, rotors, calipers and splash shields will all work. Sometimes you can simply clean everything and use it as is. I've had good luck with used parts like that.

A '77 van is not a cop car or taxi !! I think the reason they're suggesting that is for the large rotors but without knowing where you're getting the info nobody will know for sure. My suggestion would be to find the "disc-o-tech" article and do exactly what it says.

Looks like a 9-1/4 rear end

View attachment 888760
IMO....it appears to be a 9-1/4" unit as well. Looking st the pix, it appears to have a huge hole in the rear cover, which MAY indicate a catastrophic component failure.....spider gear or bearing failure or damaged bearing cap.
Disc brake components from mid 70s Dodge Diplomat or Plymouth equal will work with the correct knuckle, spindle and caliper, which are slider type rather than the pin type.
BOB RENTON

The Dr Diff kit is the best for the money.

Very happy with the brakes from the Dr

it appears to have a huge hole in the rear cover,

Look closer ... that's either a wet spot or a shadow. And that rear end has a plug in it and that's clearly visible in his photo.

It's been a long time, but I think the discs are the same as a C-Body. (Monaco, Newport etc.)
Definitely a 9-1/4" rear axle, but likely an open (not sure grip).

Auto Transport Service
Back