• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disc-to-drum upgrade 1966 Coronet 8.75 rearend: Green Bearing install needed?

watermelon

Local time
4:08 AM
Reaction score
hi all,

i have narrowed down my disc-to-drum upgrade option to a Summit Racing disc brake package and a Wilwood kit (from Summit). i am using Summit because i have some Summit bucks i want to use up.

in reading the directions for the Summit kit i see they urge that Green bearings be installed for the rear axles; they also say that their kit could work without Green bearings but some grinding (clearancing) may be needed to center up a plate in the kit. Wilwood's directions say that a "snap ring" Green bearing (a Moser or Strange variant of the Mopar type) is needed for their rear discs.

has anyone else went through the Green bearing issue(maybe non-issue :) ) when swapping to discs?

are the snap-ring green bearings and the Mopar green bearings interchangeable? i think they are from what i read on DrDiff's website.

lastly, can the old bearings be removed and new ones installed without going to a shop or getting a press?

thanks,

watermelon

The 'green' bearings are for drag strip only.... if you plan to use the car on the street going around corners use the tapered ones.....

You can use a slide hammer t remove the old races.. if they are really frozen heat the axle housing around the bearing and some dry ice on the race should break the bond.

You can use a large socket to hammer in the new race...

- - - Updated - - -

Go somewhere other than Dr diff of you want New bearings and not Used bearings sold as new he cleans up on a wheel. He did make good on the bearings... but you get one chance with me and you are mud after that....

I disagree. I used Green axle bearings in my Dana 60 for years, and never had a problem.

Auto Transport Service
Back