• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disconnected TAC & runs awful- what did I do?

Jim Chochole

Local time
5:54 AM
Reaction score
I have a '62 Dart that had an added tachometer, I didn't like it and so I disconnected it and now the car backfires, chuffs through the carburetor and is hard to start and won't stay running. Runs like garbage.

Just wondering if something I disconnected needs to be re-connected?

Thanks
Jim

This is the 4 pin ECU diagram
mopar_4pin_ign.jpg

Here is the 5 pin Diagram.
mopar_5pin_ign.jpg

Here is a diagram with tach wiring included.
ignition-coil-distributor-wiring-diagram-on-mopar-electronic-m37-bright-wire.jpg

I removed the green Tach wire from my ignition coil and have taken the unit off the car. What am I missing here? It feels like my timing is now thrown off? Doesn't make sense.

Here are the 4 wires removed from the TAC.

IMG_0500.JPG

That is trailer wiring lol.. A tach only needs a wire from the negative at the coil and a ground. If I am not mistaken maybe a wire from the lighting harness for face lighting. Can you show a picture of the tach and its wiring?

Hook it all back up and see if the problem goes away. If not then I would say you have some wiring issues. Might have a wire jumping to ground.

Wish I could, the dude who installed the TAC didn't use correct color wires and I didn't make a mental note of wires when they came off. Dang it!

What kind of ignition system do you have under the hood? Is it like anything I posted above?

Is there a brand name for that tach? maybe find a wiring diagram to see what each color wire goes to on it. The follow the wires that are coming out of the dash. I believe those will be the culprit.

Try this picture.. See if the wires under that orange/red sheathing correspond to this.

eam-light-lead-on-one-headlamp-by-using-a-circuit-tester-Use-the-following-procedure-For-monster.jpg

Last edited:
I remember seeing a car in a junkyard years ago...EVERY wire in the harness was red. Some idiot replaced all of the stock wiring under the hood with his own custom setup. How the hell do you trace a problem when every wire is the same color??

I remember seeing a car in a junkyard years ago...EVERY wire in the harness was red. Some idiot replaced all of the stock wiring under the hood with his own custom setup. How the hell do you trace a problem when every wire is the same color??
That was my car... Just kidding, its hard to diagnose a problem over the internet let alone a problem like that.

You probably bumped another wire with a questionable connection & started the downhill run!

Do make sure to check all of the wiring at the bulkhead connection. Both under the dash and at the firewall.

Where all the wiring goes thru firewall. 2-3 rectangular plugs.

Left side of the brake booster under the hood. Square block with all the wiring going into it. Under the dash its above the gas pedal.

Not your car but it should be in pretty much the same place.

20_13_low_res.jpg

No problem I think its easier to give a visual for people.. Rather than over there by the thingy that is right next to the alterhuminator..

Auto Transport Service
Back