• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

distance to get car

44070dart

Local time
1:48 PM
Reaction score
OK .. wife :nono: is bugging me about another road trip I'm about to make to purchase a car .. 235 miles this time .. now I think its a very reasonable distance to get my next car but my wife thinks I'm nuts and tells everyone something wrong with this guy ..done 3 or 4 hundred miles in the past to get one.. she thinks me and a few friends are the ONLY nuts out there .. anyone else travel a distance to get their car ?

My 68 GTS came from southwest Indiana. Paid $650 to have it transported to Maryland. Yeah , and I've been nuts for years !!

I drove 500 miles one way to pick up a '64 Polara. All rusted out. Ended up selling it after I got it running. Rented a trailer close to the seller so I didn't have to tow one there.

I drove about 125 miles to get mine - then drove it back home in late evening with very little dash lights - that was fun... LOL

I drove around 100 mi each way for my GTX. I would have driven 1000 miles if I had to!

no, you're not nuts, you just have a sickness...just like the rest of us. :icon_thumright:

I made countless trips between Detroit and LA during the 80's. Many other trips to TX, NC, and various other states. Now I ship....it's cheaper.

Fayetteville Arkansas to pick one up, 2 months later down to Dallas, I'm in ND

I drove 339 miles (one way) to pick up my Roadrunner. If you have a specific thing you are looking for (or certain criteria), I think you need to be flexible. I called up a buddy of mine and we made a pretty good road trip of it.

I drove over 1200 miles to only be seriously disappointed but didn't discourage me from the other 900..600...400 mile trips. NEVER pay for a car until you've seen it

Over 750 miles round trip for my Charger! Did it in one day. Left at 3am and got back into yard at 7 pm. My wife didn't go! LOL!!

My pops was a classic car dealer here in the Portland, Oregon area. We spent many sleepless nights driving up and down I-5 and as far east Reno. Some of the best memories I have with him.

I got lucky, my car was 25 miles away... my buddy wasn't so lucky on his '70 Superbee, it was 862 miles 1 way... we drove there and back non-stop taking turns driving the truck and trailer... we get there and he's like "should I try to haggle him down?" and I'm like.. well.. we just drove over 12 hours with a trailer, I'm pretty sure he's got you by the balls

2800 miles round trip.

$1500 for car.

$1100 for trip.

Driving route 66 with a nearly rust free big block car in tow- priceless.

5246 miles. not exactly just down the road.

She's a beauty too...

- - - Updated - - -

I've driven all over the country to buy cars, well actually usually while I was in an area racing,
something would catch my eye on the side of the hwy, in a pasture, in some cowtown, or in some local paper,
I use to buy allot of cars out of SoCal/LA & bring them up-to NorCal/Bay Area & Sacto., a couple hundred miles each way...

I will never buy anything sight unseen, even if I have to fly to go see it,
it's money well spent, but I also haven't done much at all since 2005 thou...

I first flew from Vancouver to Oakland and came back the next day to check out my car. The next weekend drove 1900 miles (return) to pick up the car. You're not overly crazy.

I'll be driving 375 miles just to get a tranny soon

**correction... just to get a tranny and meet 2 awesome forum members!**

670 miles (1,340 Round Trip). Texas to St. Louis. Picked up a 66 Belvedere. Drug a trailer there and back.

Auto Transport Service
Back