• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

distributor pick up '63

44070dart

Local time
4:30 PM
Reaction score
'63 Plymouth 318.. I believe the distributor is from a 73/74 vehicle (3656673) .. think the pick up is going as the car runs drives and shuts off whenever.. won't start then after a few minutes starts and drives.. etc.

so I buy this pictured piece for a '73 and the plate is different than what is in the cars dist. .. the pick up part is the same but the plate doesn't seem to come out of my dist. .. the new plate has a rivet on which it pivots so can't remove the plate.. where do I go from here.. does the distributor plate come out because I preyed on it some and doesn't seem to .. thanks

5240794_cbw_me1a_pri_larg.jpg

I think you need to remove the vacuum advance it's arm connects to this plate to rotate it and advance the timing.

I got the new pick up in and took the car out, drove fine.. for about 40 minutes and quit. Started right back up and drove a couple miles home.. :wtf: .. Where do I look next. It's doing the same thing it did with old pick up.. Coil, ballast resistor, ignition module ... ??

DSCN2851.JPG

Last edited:
I had a new module in my stash that I bought a few years ago sitting in my garage .. NAPA tp51sb .. put it in, made sure to scrape paint away behind the screws holding it in and no start ... wtf.. pulled it out, put in old one and it fires up.. ?? Guess I'll have to get a new one tomorrow.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/MPETP51SB

Nope ..going to get new one tomorrow. I was thinking about when I bought that NAPA one, bought it for my Polara, so it's been in my garage for eight years, guess it's toast for some reason.

I have one from Western auto that's about 30 years old. An orange module died on me and the old cheap one worked fine

Picked up the module from NAPA today ..put it in, no F!@##$% start.. put in original one, started right up. ground down back of new one thinking poor ground,.. no start.. needs to be grounded as I put original one in and laid it on a rag, not screwed in and car would not start..grounded screws holding new one in .. no start .. had a coil hanging around.. new coil and new module no start .. new coil, old module >>> start..I am at a loss.

Last edited:
Got it.. installed old pick up with new module and it started .. ????????????????????????????????? don't care why. thanks for suggestions

Auto Transport Service
Back