• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Distributor restoration

Rusty

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:10 PM
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a reliable, quality person to restore my dual point Hemi distributor.? I found Joe White on goggle but he is Facebook savvy and I don’t have an account

Does anyone know of a reliable, quality person to restore my dual point Hemi distributor.? I found Joe White on goggle but he is Facebook savvy and I don’t have an account
Out of curiosity, what sort of restoration is needed/wanted? A Prestolite dual point distributor breaker plate for a 440 engine is available (with points & condenser) on line for approximately $150. The same for the bushings at a lower cost. Vacuum advance assemblies are available at Tony's Parts. A complete ready to install service replacement unit (has an S in the tag stamping) with cap and rotor, was available from Great Lakes NOS for approximately $ 650....switch your tag, if numbers matching. Over the years, I've been able to aquire several complete distributor units at swap meets, Mopar Nats, and Chryslers at Carlisle from people who converted from Prestolite to MSD and Pertronix for relatively low cost ($ 30-50 +/-) along with many NOS sets of points & condensers, rotors, caps, springs, weights as spares.
Since I don't race the car, I want to maintain correct appearance and origionality. With the original Prestolite dual point distributor, I can buzz the engine to 6000 RPM without any issues. HALIFAXHOPS is also a good source for complete unuts, parts, and advice. Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

Last edited:
Thanks, my original dist came in a box of parts and currently I have a single points model. Trying to determine if it worth the effort or just go electronic.
The original has surface rust etc - needs a full going thru

You will be much happier going with electronic(mag trigger) & a good electronic box. Keeping points running well is a pain.

You will be much happier going with electronic(mag trigger) & a good electronic box. Keeping points running well is a pain.

I guess it depends on one's point of view, their personal mechanical skill and ability and IF they want to maintain correct appearance and origionality. Setting points in a dual point distributor is no big deal, especially if you pull the distributor and set the points using "feeler" gauges. Every 5 years (+/-) I'll install new points....once the points are set correctly, there is no "pain".....but, you pay your money and take your choice....it's your car....and not wanting to start another "my way is better than your way" verbal war regarding which equipment is best any why.
BOB RENTON

Last edited:
I’m 58(+) years old and was raised setting points. Call me old school but I like 64 original and want to restore the distributor and make this barn find original again.

I can do it. Really depends on rice what you want to do it is all over the lace. 100 point can be pricy just a vacuum advance can be 300 up with the numbers. Tonys parts have no numbers, or just a good looking stock running unit. Have tons of stuff for the. Shoot me a message if interested.

Just a rebuild, forgot which one.
DSC06428.JPG
DSC06429.JPG
DSC06427.JPG

Rusty, the Prestolite was pretty darn good as I recall. I bet Halifax can set you up. The lower bushing may need attention. Quality points seem like the question mark & matching condenser. The '70's vintage Accel were good, my Mallory stuff was excellent. Just need to keep on top of them. Get spare point sets.

New stuff absolutely sucks look for older NORS or NOS.

Sounds like good points & condenser may a problem if you can't find good "old" parts. Good luck.

Auto Transport Service
Back