• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Distributor suggestions?

Myasylum

Local time
9:35 PM
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 72' with a 400ci 4bbl with a smallish Voodoo 10230703 Lift: .494"/.513" cam.

My distributor is next on the list, I think.

I have read MSD is the way to go. I'd also like to get rid of as much of the boxes on the firewall as possible (Ignition box, ballast resistor)

I believe 72 should no longer have points. The cap on the Distibutor I have now is pretty sloppy, that can't be good.

I also have RPM Aluminum heads, so I'd need it to fit.

Any suggestions or direction on this?

Thanks!

most all 72 still had points. Your not sure of what you have? I went with a Mancini Racing ready to run. Works great.

No, I'm not sure. I didn't dig into that very closely yet. Busy with other things. It's a 1972 Plymouth Satellite SSP.

Summit offers a ready to run pro-billet.
Note the Male HEI terminals though...
1675191928090.png

No, I'm not sure. I didn't dig into that very closely yet. Busy with other things. It's a 1972 Plymouth Satellite SSP.
Then for all you know you may already have a decent ignition system.

The old Mopar electronic mag distributor, especially the DC version is hard to beat with a good quality ECU. You do want a good cap.

72 is when electronic ignition started hitting. My Charger came with it stock.

I prefer the simplicity of the stock-type electronic system. If your car is not a race car you do not need to waste money on MSD. The MP distributor is only about $140 ....It's inexpensive and cheap and easy to carry spare parts so you can repair on the side of the road. Not so with MSD... but of course MSD looks so cool.

Msd is built far better then the after market mopar electronic distributor. We put a mopar on distributor machine and tolerances were terrible. Get what you pay for

You should get something that has vacuum advance.
Racers will tell you that it isn’t necessary but for a street car, it does not hurt performance but does help fuel economy and engine life. It helps burn the fuel better when you’re on light TV throttle cruising. The oil will stay clean longer and spark plugs don’t foul as fast either.
I’ve used the stock electronic ignition in several cars that came with breaker points. Replacement parts can be found easier and it is reliable.

Last edited:
So what do I need to get rid of the Ignition module and the ballast resistor? Is it just plug and play once removed?

I really like the standard Firecore distributors. I use them with a FBO box, blaster coil, and no ballast resistor. I have heard some bad reviews on their RTR models.

I second the positive comments on the Firecore dizzy. Been running with one since 2014. The Firecore replaced the Mopar Performance dizzy that came with the Mopar electronic ignition conversion kit I installed in 2010. That Mopar dizzy (made in Tiwan) developed some slop in shaft and led to erratic firing.
The Firecore is extremely well built in Ohio if I'm not mistaken.. good quality throughout and adjustable curve. Running the Firecore with Mopar Ignition orange box, and proper resistor haven't had a spec of trouble since day it was installed. .

I've used the Electronic Distributor kits on my street cars without any issues. I think the last one was a Proform kit. My race cars I have MSD 6AL boxes. They have the same distributor that come with the kit. I did put an MSD distributor in my small block race car.

You could do a stock distributor with a petronix kit. A rebuilder like Halifax Hops here on the board is a good resource if you aren’t able to do it yourself. Way better than a box store reman and he can set the curve, springs and install the petronix kit and give you a test sheet for it. He had the core for what I wanted in the shelf and built one for me that has been good for about a year and a half so far.

I have seen a few folks that are running these:
and they have all had good things to say. Especially nice if you run a dual function car as you can run vaccuum advance for the street and keep your car happy but also be able to tweak things at the track as needed with next to no effort.

Hello,

I have a 72' with a 400ci 4bbl with a smallish Voodoo 10230703 Lift: .494"/.513" cam.

My distributor is next on the list, I think.

I have read MSD is the way to go. I'd also like to get rid of as much of the boxes on the firewall as possible (Ignition box, ballast resistor)

I believe 72 should no longer have points. The cap on the Distibutor I have now is pretty sloppy, that can't be good.

I also have RPM Aluminum heads, so I'd need it to fit.

Any suggestions or direction on this?

Thanks!
How about a 1968 or 69 383 Plymouth Road Runner or Dodge Super Bee re curved Prestolite dual point distributor? It will fit a 400 B engine just fine...just something to consider.....be different.....
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back