• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Distributor

440 4 speed

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:31 AM
Reaction score
Have this distributor. There isn’t a tag on it . 440. Would like to know what the vacuum advance is all about, and what the electrical contacts are for.
Thanks

save pic in your p c picture file then click on upload photos and pick the pic you want then the size and done.

save pic in your p c picture file then click on upload photos and pick the pic you want then the size and done.
Thanks. Hope this works

F0824728-EDF8-416B-9E74-5A577151D64A.jpeg A8C6B4B8-98B0-4337-98BD-D3021F890E4D.jpeg DEC7ECE0-C11B-41DE-A568-3F6A5675DE26.jpeg

From the pictures it looks like a B block distributor looking at the length of the shaft?? Body looks kind of like a lean burn with points.....interesting :jackoff:

I don't think it looks anything like a lean burn.
Looks like a cast iron body.
Lean burns were always electronic with no vacuum advance.

From the pictures it looks like a B block distributor looking at the length of the shaft?? Body looks kind of like a lean burn with points.....interesting :jackoff:
It is a Prestolite dual point, same shaft length as my single point electronic distributor. I also have a B block Presolite which is from a 361.

Yes solenoid retard, 1970 stuff. But that dist and vacuum advance don’t go together. See the vac advance has the tab to locate the cap? Like all single point or electronic distributors.

The cap on a cast iron distributor is located by one of the clip stands has a metal guide for the cap. See photo, first one has it, other one does not.

try putting on a cap and see if it fits. Did they remove the tabs on the clip?

I did see one like this for sale online and wondered how it got that vac advance on it.

0A46BA41-7722-4E45-8399-471F7AA8390F.jpeg DC036743-3B51-40B1-989E-17711ACB0070.jpeg

Yes solenoid retard, 1970 stuff. But that dist and vacuum advance don’t go together. See the vac advance has the tab to locate the cap? Like all single point or electronic distributors.

The cap on a cast iron distributor is located by one of the clip stands has a metal guide for the cap. See photo, first one has it, other one does not.

I did see one like this for sale online and wondered how it got that vac advance on it.

View attachment 1074339 View attachment 1074340
Thant for the advice

Start over. I thank everyone for their contribution. I read the information on vacuum advance solenoids. Going to post more pictures of the earlier 383 distributor and cap. Will try the cap on the 440 distributor.

View attachment 1074339 View attachment 1074340

looks like someone wanted a duel point in a later vehicle and frankensteined it

R413 post #17
You are absolutely correct. And I am looking at both distributors now. The other B block prestolite I hadn’t looked at in years. It’s a single point, not dual. When I take the vacuum advance off the 440, the the cap from the single point drops right on. I hope I can use that cap.
Next question is can I swap the single point normal looking vacuum advance or any vacuum advance on the dual point?
Are the single point rotors the same as dual point, the look that way.
Thanks

distributors are fairly inexpensive why cobble something together the bushings are probably sloppy , is the shaft worn, will this fit that, on and on

Auto Transport Service
Back