• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DIY Oil Pan Baffle

Superbeemike

Local time
11:29 PM
Reaction score
I was playing around in the garage yesterday and was thinking about adding a baffle to the bottom of an oil pan to help control oil under hard g forces. Now, I know I can just run over to Summit and grab a $500 Milodon road racing pan but I love tinkering on stuff, and I wanted to try to make something. I started with some card stock and cut out something close, transferred it to some sheet metal and welded it in. I am not a great welder and know my mig welds aren't nice, and I should probably not own a welder, but it should hold. What are your thoughts, is this unnecessary or will it help? I think the oil will adequately drain to the bottom of the pan but thought I'd post this for thoughts.

IMG_6344.JPG IMG_6345.JPG

Thats not bad at all. I was considering doing the same thing myself. I'm thinking, insert walls under the main caps to seperate the rod pairs. This should help to control windage some

Thats not bad at all. I was considering doing the same thing myself. I'm thinking, insert walls under the main caps to seperate the rod pairs. This should help to control windage some

That's not a bad idea. I read recently the new Corvette LT6 has something similar where it sections off each pair of rods for oil control.

Maybe incorporate a windage tray or at least horizontal baffles to control oil slosh on accel and decel. That may admittedly be over thinking it a bit.

Here is the pan I modified for the 360 Magnum I built. Added a "crank scraper" to the side of the pan. I used the Kevco pan for inspiration. Must check fit including dip stick before installing.

img_20220204_144517_hdr-jpg.jpg

I have a template i made about 20 years ago. Take a look. all you do is print the pdf on a 8.5x11 paper, paste onto the metal , cut out and tack. Capture.JPG

Attachments

• baffle Model (1).pdf
    21.9 KB · Views: 124
Auto Transport Service
Back