• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

do bad decisions ever stop? :)

icetech

Local time
4:58 PM
Reaction score
So.. i'm 52 and thought i had grown up some.. I am starting to love my 62, but was looking at car values and basically by the time i get my car done i will have (approx) 20k into it including the car price ($9600).. When looking at cars i was trying to find a project under 10k (in michigan it's hard to find anything decent that isn't really expensive). If i get the car done and running without too much trouble (yeah, i know that's not gonna happen) I will have a car when complete that's worth 13kish? (from what i see for sale) I thought at some point in my life that i would make better decisions and not let enthusiasm take over.. nope :) I'm sure most of you make good decisions but i seem to make ones with regret afterwards.. it's a weird way to live. Anyway, tired and bored at work.. just overthinking things

P.S. that being said.. i just spent 20 years working 70 hours a week and doing nothing else.. it feel WAY better actually working on something and seeing bad parts turning good.. so the mental health aspect is worth it :)

Last edited:
So.. i'm 52 and thought i had grown up some.. I am starting to love my 62, but was looking at car values and basically by the time i get my car done i will have (approx) 20k into it including the car price ($9600).. When looking at cars i was trying to find a project under 10k (in michigan it's hard to find anything decent that isn't really expensive). If i get the car done and running without too much trouble (yeah, i know that's not gonna happen) I will have a car when complete that's worth 13kish? (from what i see for sale) I thought at some point in my life that i would make better decisions and not let enthusiasm take over.. nope :) I'm sure most of you make good decisions but i seem to make ones with regret afterwards.. it's a weird way to live. Anyway, tired and bored at work.. just overthinking things :)
Heck bud, we’ve all been there. If it’s a car you love and or enjoy, don’t worry about it. To me driving a car or truck I enjoy is what it’s all about. I’ve owned numerous new vehicles through the years. I’ve also owned many I’ve built. There’s a satisfaction in driving something you’ve put your blood, sweat elbow grease into. I don’t care what people think of my vehicle, I don’t post pictures, I don’t tell everyone what I have, I just enjoy. Life’s too short to not enjoy it. Take care and have at it!

I'm glad I was able to keep the house after my divorce. Had it not been for my shop out back, I don't think I would have been able to survive the Covid crap. Living in an apartment is just the worst thing imo.

I'm glad I was able to keep the house after my divorce. Had it not been for my shop out back, I don't think I would have been able to survive the Covid crap. Living in an apartment is just the worst thing imo.

yeah, i get that.. i bought my house for a woman (yeah, i know.. now.. that bad decision thing) and she was gone in 6 months so i spent the last 20 years paying for it and am trying to start living again :) I do love the car when i'm working on it, but i keep thinking bout the WHOLE picture which overwhelms me, i am trying to concentrate on 1 bite at a time :)

I really shouldn't whine, my car is pretty solid, i see things you guys do and just.. my god.. i would never even consider it.. but i'm glad you do it. I think the problem is i bought one of the least desirable mopars ever. It's a real love it or hate it car. and i love them :) i'm sure the first time i drive it all these feelings will go away.

yeah, i get that.. i bought my house for a woman (yeah, i know.. now.. that bad decision thing) and she was gone in 6 months so i spent the last 20 years paying for it and am trying to start living again :) I do love the car when i'm working on it, but i keep thinking bout the WHOLE picture which overwhelms me, i am trying to concentrate on 1 bite at a time :)

I really shouldn't whine, my car is pretty solid, i see things you guys do and just.. my god.. i would never even consider it.. but i'm glad you do it. I think the problem is i bought one of the least desirable mopars ever. It's a real love it or hate it car. and i love them :) i'm sure the first time i drive it all these feelings will go away.
I’m sure they will!

Finishing up a 62 Dart, everything new, replaced multiple panels, etc.

Thing is, if I had all the cash at once I could have bought a complete, done, car.

Somehow, spending along the way, and getting deals, is more feasible than saving over the same amount of time.

Although I do enjoy saying I did it all myself, a lot of the time during a build I'm not thinking that at all.

Plus, it's hard to find a car that is done the way I would do it.

i am trying to concentrate on 1 bite at a time :)
That's the ticket! I try to do something, anything, big or small, at least once every few days. Keeps momentum going, and mentally you see progress over weeks/months.

i bought one of the least desirable mopars ever.
Excuse me, 62s are the bomb.

Imo, these cars are not ugly and well, again imo, the 66-67 Plymouth Belvederes aren't all that desirable either but what I have is a 66 Belvedere I 2dr sedan and well, I like them. A buddy of mine has a 61 Belvedere race car and he named it Fugly lol. I think it's cool looking!

Finishing up a 62 Dart, everything new, replaced multiple panels, etc.

Thing is, if I had all the cash at once I could have bought a complete, done, car.

Somehow, spending along the way, and getting deals, is more feasible than saving over the same amount of time.

Although I do enjoy saying I did it all myself, a lot of the time during a build I'm not thinking that at all.

Plus, it's hard to find a car that is done the way I would do it.
Yeah, it's kind of funny, i don't really enjoy driving anymore but i enjoy working on things.. so probably the right choice :) The one thing that i was surprised about is how hard 62 parts are to get, i knew it was a 1 year but i didn't consider that ahead of time :) luckily i have probably 95% of what i need. BTW..i LOVE the 62 dart, that's pretty much what i wanted :)

That's the ticket! I try to do something, anything, big or small, at least once every few days. Keeps momentum going, and mentally you see progress over weeks/months.

Excuse me, 62s are the bomb.

I love the 62's :) I think it comes down to the cop car in hollywood knights (i think it was a 62) but it seems love or hate with em :)

Imo, these cars are not ugly and well, again imo, the 66-67 Plymouth Belvederes aren't all that desirable either but what I have is a 66 Belvedere I 2dr sedan and well, I like them. A buddy of mine has a 61 Belvedere race car and he named it Fugly lol. I think it's cool looking!
This 62 is my oldest car yet (really want a 57ish though) but man.. the 61... ooof.... I would love to see one as a race car if you have a pic or web page for it, just can't picture that

This 62 is my oldest car yet (really want a 57ish though) but man.. the 61... ooof.... I would love to see one as a race car if you have a pic or web page for it, just can't picture that
You axed and here it is. Also, go to this web site for some history on it. https://www.marsh-racing.com/DAMONS_PLYMOUTH.htm There's even a pic of what it looked like before being built. Also, the car is a 4 speed and he knows how to shift it.

bad_as10.jpg

Damn, that thing is awesome.... everytime i see a 61 it looks like droopy dog in beige :) I really should put a big block in mine.. but it's soo original i just can't.. a car is only original once.
Do what you want to with it.....and keep all the original stuff if you ever went to put it back. Mine....the /6 is long gone along with the 904 and 7 1/4 rear end. I stuck an 8 3/4 with 4.10 gears in it really early on and woke up that dang 6. 4800 was all it would do though lol It did go from running mid 19's :( to an 18.10 though. Where's the big block!?

Damn, that thing is awesome.... everytime i see a 61 it looks like droopy dog in beige :) I really should put a big block in mine.. but it's soo original i just can't.. a car is only original once.
Did you go to the Marsh racing site to look at the other pics? Damon also built a 61 pickup from a car to pull it to the local shows etc. and it's posted on that site.

I don't understand how a car guy could live in an apartment unless he was really strapped for money. My first place when I left the Parents house was an apartment. I moved out with my girlfriend. The quick access to sex was great but the limitations on working on cars was terrible. I hated that.
Regarding the OP and his car....
If you enjoy the car and working on it, don't let the "value" ruin your fun. There is a lot of value in the pleasure that you get from owning it. The cars that I like aren't always the most desirable but I like them for their styling anyway. If this is a business to you, the finished product needs to be worth more than the investment to turn a reasonable profit. If you're doing this for your own fun, who cares what it will sell for once you have passed on?
70 hours a week ?????

1 FPP.JPG

Holy Crap....I don't like working 40 hours a week!

Like Kern is saying, if this was a business venture you'd be thinking the right way. Hobbies are rarely profitable.

You’ll find a lot of posts about us on the forum having restored the cars we like and some where it isn’t their #1 favorite, but in their top five or ten. That’s the case with me with my ’63 Plymouth I’ve owned for some 25 years. Had a ‘70 Cuda and ’67 GTO I’d sure like to have back. But that was eons ago. After restoring a rust-bucket Cutlass I semi-cloned to a 442, came across the cherry unrestored Plymouth, a CA car. Have fond memories of my elder cousin racing a ’64 Plymouth and Dodge he bought new. As a kid those cars were awesome to me wanting one like them and after 20 years latched onto one. And a number of members have said they restore a car the way they want them to be – for them. Price to do this, exceeding the value of the car, isn’t a tick-point. Well, as it worked out, not with me either making mine the way I wanted it…invested around $35k in it and lucky if I’d sell it for $10k less come the day to sell it. Mopars got prettier and faster and like ‘em a lot. But the early B’s have some big fans too, young & old as I’ve encountered at shows and getting offers to sell it. Lol, recently a guy delivering a box to the house asked to look at the car in the garage drooling over it…he was maybe in his late 20’s. Everyone has their own tastes that floats their boat.

Did you go to the Marsh racing site to look at the other pics? Damon also built a 61 pickup from a car to pull it to the local shows etc. and it's posted on that site.
Yeah, he builds some cool stuff... thats big boy money though :) I'm a po boy from detroit.. i'll be happy with running and one color :) His towing truck looks great

If you enjoy the car and working on it, don't let the "value" ruin your fun. There is a lot of value in the pleasure that you get from owning it. The cars that I like aren't always the most desirable but I like them for their styling anyway. If this is a business to you, the finished product needs to be worth more than the investment to turn a reasonable profit. If you're doing this for your own fun, who cares what it will sell for once you have passed on?
70 hours a week ?????
Holy Crap....I don't like working 40 hours a week!

You are right, i think it's a thing from growing up really broke that you never get over.. i have been squirreling away money for 20 years and recently was like.. i need to spend this since it's just sitting here. Then i worry bout money again :)

The 70 hour thing just happened... when i was 18 i worked in factories for a few years and one here i actually worked 7 12's for 2 years straight without a day off.. that will **** your head up bad.. turns you into a zombie. Now i own my own business and prefer to work alone so i do 60-70 every week (it's not like i work hard though most of my day is wasting time, wish i had more customers i would work as long as needed) :)

I'm just used to it.. i wake up at 5am without an alarm every day just from habit. For the last 7 years i drummed for 3-4 hours every night after work to relax but i need a break from that now.

Auto Transport Service
Back