• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do I have swap dashboards?

CPW64Polara

Local time
4:32 AM
Reaction score
I have a ‘64 Dodge Polara that has had an pioneer sound system, that previous owners installed by cutting out part of the dashboard which includes the original holes for the original radio. Now after recently buying an original radio....had the radio rebuilt with FM and all the new electronics.....I want to reinstall the original radio. My options are 1) get an original dashboard and swap it out (and repaint it) or....find some way to restore those original mounting holes for the radio....uh, any suggestions?? And what does a 64 Dodge/Plymouth dash skeleton go for nowadays?

154EB9D4-DF83-4B76-AF1D-03D1CD53E180.jpeg

64 or 65 would work. Be sure and check for holes for a padded dash, or no padded dash, depending on your car. Around here a clean frame goes for $75.00.

Should be a fairly easy fix with some basic welding fab to recreate the original rectangle and holes for the speaker knobs

On a Plymouth, original plastic piece covers the dash there completely. Radio held in place by radio knob studs through holes and support bracket on rear.
Would just need to weld in some metal with holes for the radio knobs and could leave the center open, no rectangles.

I would have to go out to the shop and look at mine , but get a new radio cover ( you probably need one anyway) there are guys repopping them. You may be able to just cut out a new metal plate where yours was modified and weld ( preferably) or even pop rivet (hidden) . Without having the parts in my hand I don't know if you see any of that new plate but if you hide the welds or pop rivets you could paint to match the rest of the dash. Got to be something way easier than replacing the whole dash.

Redvenomrepros.com for radio plates also heater and shifter delete plates ,nice .

Auto Transport Service
Back