Do I have to swap dashboards?

1962 - 1965 Mopars

1. CPW64Polara

CPW64Polara Member

Local Time:
    4:36 AM
    I have a ‘64 Dodge Polara that has had an pioneer sound system, that previous owners installed by cutting out part of the dashboard which includes the original holes for the original radio. Now after recently buying an original radio....had the radio rebuilt with FM and all the new electronics.....I want to reinstall the original radio. My options are 1) get an original dashboard and swap it out (and repaint it) or....find some way to restore those original mounting holes for the radio....uh, any suggestions?? And what does a 64 Dodge/Plymouth dash skeleton go for nowadays?

2. Oldreddodge

Oldreddodge FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    6:36 AM
    # 1 is the way to go,buy a loaded and mix and match the best parts

3. Fran Blacker

Fran Blacker FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    7:36 AM
    It depends on if it is butchered or not? Picture might help. Not sure if you need to remove windshield? That's something to think about.

4. CPW64Polara

CPW64Polara Member

Local Time:
    As much as tearing out my current dash and putting in another with the original radio openings intact intrigues me, what about making new pieces and using metal epoxy glue to basically “glue” in the new pieces....THEN put my radio in. JB Weld & Gorilla Glue metal epoxy come to mind. Anyone use this stuff for metal applications? Do they work?

5. Kern Dog

Kern Dog FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    Panel bonding adhesive is available at auto body supply stores. The good stuff is as strong as a welded junction.

• Agree Agree x 2
    1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
      By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.