• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do I have to swap dashboards?

CPW64Polara

Local time
8:31 PM
Reaction score
I have a ‘64 Dodge Polara that has had an pioneer sound system, that previous owners installed by cutting out part of the dashboard which includes the original holes for the original radio. Now after recently buying an original radio....had the radio rebuilt with FM and all the new electronics.....I want to reinstall the original radio. My options are 1) get an original dashboard and swap it out (and repaint it) or....find some way to restore those original mounting holes for the radio....uh, any suggestions?? And what does a 64 Dodge/Plymouth dash skeleton go for nowadays?

I have a ‘64 Dodge Polara that has had an pioneer sound system, that previous owners installed by cutting out part of the dashboard which includes the original holes for the original radio. Now after recently buying an original radio....had the radio rebuilt with FM and all the new electronics.....I want to reinstall the original radio. My options are 1) get an original dashboard and swap it out (and repaint it) or....find some way to restore those original mounting holes for the radio....uh, any suggestions?? And what does a 64 Dodge/Plymouth dash skeleton go for nowadays?
It depends on if it is butchered or not? Picture might help. Not sure if you need to remove windshield? That's something to think about.

As much as tearing out my current dash and putting in another with the original radio openings intact intrigues me, what about making new pieces and using metal epoxy glue to basically “glue” in the new pieces....THEN put my radio in. JB Weld & Gorilla Glue metal epoxy come to mind. Anyone use this stuff for metal applications? Do they work?

Panel bonding adhesive is available at auto body supply stores. The good stuff is as strong as a welded junction.

Auto Transport Service
Back