• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do old tires have any value?

James Hogan

Local time
8:00 PM
Reaction score
I have a set of 4 Firestone wide oval F 70 14" tires that are at least 18 years old. They came with my Charger when I bought 18 years ago and have been in my basement all this time. No cracking and the treads almost look new. I'm most concerned with the age, I wouldn't want to sell these to someone and have them wreck their car because of the age of these tires. Any opinions are appreciated.

I would not use them. I had 3 BF Goodrich Radial TAs come apart. They did not show any dry rot or cracking.

I have a set of 4 Firestone wide oval F 70 14" tires that are at least 18 years old. They came with my Charger when I bought 18 years ago and have been in my basement all this time. No cracking and the treads almost look new. I'm most concerned with the age, I wouldn't want to sell these to someone and have them wreck their car because of the age of these tires. Any opinions are appreciated.
No and you have to be careful if you run them. Have a blow out and cause a wreck, some insurance companies will hold you responsible for having tires out of safety range.

I think the correct tires are pretty much show-only; radials are so much better for driving.
I have a mint set of Goodyear Speedways on dated steelies & wheel covers for my '68 RR - cost over $2K - and I'd take half that for them.
Just another thing that's expensive to obtain, but ironically hard to move on. Someone somewhere wants this stuff but it's really only for show cars.

They make great spare tires in a show vehicle. I got my hands on an old white wall on a 14" rim for my roadrunner in the trunk and then swap it out for a rear radial spare if I drive it to Carlisle or a longer trip away from home.

The basement is a perfect place to store tires.
I would use them.

No and you have to be careful if you run them. Have a blow out and cause a wreck, some insurance companies will hold you responsible for having tires out of safety range.
Any ideas of the value, even just as show ponies?

Not to be political. Just dump them in Bettlejuice's yard and let her clean it up, she deserves it!!

Any ideas of the value, even just as show ponies?
I would guess $100 each if in near new looking condition, more with wheels. Some may want them for show purposes and some may not care about age. their choice as long as you disclose the age

I would guess $100 each if in near new looking condition, more with wheels. Some may want them for show purposes and some may not care about age. their choice as long as you disclose the age
Thanks all the quick responses!

They make good garage art too for those types with personal museums

As long as you're up front about the age, go ahead and advertise them. I had a friend with some ancient F70-15 Goodyears, everyone knew they were old but someone bought them for a good price to put on a 1968 Corvette just for shows.

Tires have a shelf life of 6-8 years. Beyond that they can seperate and blow apart. My friend has a scared fender that reminds him of it. I made tires at Bridgestone/Firestone. If you use old tires DO NOT go on an interstate with them. High speed they will pop. And you steering will be affected by them.

I had some 15 year old tires in the same condition as yours that I replaced because of their age that I though I would have to pay to have scrapped. My tire dealer paid me $10.00 each because the farmers use them on hay wagons and such. Someone should have a use for them.

Auto Transport Service
Back