• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you find that CHROME parts do not seal as well?

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:04 AM
Reaction score
I have a chrome oil pan in the Charger, but it is coming out. It has weeped oil since the day I first fired the engine. I thought it may have been due to the gaskets or the windage tray design, but I can't be sure.
I have had poor luck in the past with Chrome valve covers and transmission pans. Is it just MY luck or is this a common problem with Chrome parts?

Yes always a problem. Chrome is too Riedged and slippery of a surface for gaskets to stick too. Stainless steel also a problem bolts loosen, black oxide bolts are better.

I actually have stainless bolts in the oil pan! Never knew about them loosening. I did have that happen, so I added lock washers. I still found oil dripping off of the bolts and onto the headers. Very annoying!
Maybe I'll clean up some stock oil pan bolts and use those if I can't find any black oxide bolts nearby.

Yes. Same with the chrome thermostat housing. Junk. It leaked. Chinese. (See far left Kalyfornia/lefty thread). I used a Mancini Billet housing. Over priced, but good. The chrome dipstick was **** too. It flaked off and I had to change the oil early for peace of mind. Builder reminded me that he upgraded me, wish I had the old stick.

I usually mill/grind/scratch/otherwise remove the chrome on mating surfaces. Nothing sticks to good chrome. Crappy chrome, usually the metal is too thin to do anything with, so its a waste.

I have found that the common chrome thermostat housings have a pot metal base material. The middle crowns and allows the coolant to weep from the middle. I had one that I pulled and milled three times in 4 years. Finally I tossed it and found an old iron one and painted it engine color. It hasn't leaked yet.
Last week I ordered a Milodon 6 quart Hemi oil pan and pickup along with Jegs super cool windage tray with molded in rubber gasket. The windage was on backorder and is expected this week. I sure hope this pan seals better.

I've said this many times over the years... do not buy the cheap, worthless, chrome junk parts... whether its an oil pan, valve covers, timing cover, WHATEVER.... its cheap garbage chinese junk that will leak sooner or later.

Junked my T-STAT housing just because I couldn't keep it sealed. After the 2nd filing/grinding/RTVing. done.....................

Yep, I sand the chrome where the gasket goes to get some bite.

Auto Transport Service
Back