• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you have any weird family traditions?

SteveSS

Local time
1:39 AM
Reaction score
In our family on the day of your birthday, you get doused with water. It's never more than a glass full but it's always at an unexpected time. I don't know where it came from or how it started but it's adhered to adamantly.

I think my family has the tradition of not talking to each other without getting into an argument and if you try your best not to be involved, they try harder to make sure you are involved.....

I think my family has the tradition of not talking to each other without getting into an argument and if you try your best not to be involved, they try harder to make sure you are involved.....
That was funny right there! I don’t care who you are!

Specifically got married on May 5th so we wouldn't forget and could have an occasion for margaritas.
Does that count?

You mean like Festivus?
1654261225156.png

Some friends of ours have cake fights at their birthday parties.
Some think it's odd, but doesn't seem all that strange to me. My mother's extended family of Sicilians always got together on Christmas day and had a huge Italian feast of pasta, salsiccia (sausage) and other assorted goodies, mostly homemade. My wife and I continue that tradition when we host, albeit with a much smaller group.

The usage of middle names for some damned reason. There are pros and cons...

Pro example: When the kids were young and they answered the house phone if the caller asked to speak with "James" then they knew that it was a telemarketer or sales guy that didn't actually know me. They were free to say "he died" or "he left us" and hang up if they so chose.

Con example: When I'm sitting in the waiting room of the doctor's office and I'm not paying really good attention for the nurse to yell "James" my wait tends to get a lot longer...

This is a tradition that I did NOT carry forward...

In our family on the day of your birthday, you get doused with water. It's never more than a glass full but it's always at an unexpected time. I don't know where it came from or how it started but it's adhered to adamantly.
Perhaps your ancestors were nomads in the desert ? And the birthday boy was the lucky one to get the water ? Do you have any other traditions involving camels, or wagon trains ?

Now that it's been brought up, I do put out a Festivus pole.

Back when my aunt was alive, any time "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" would be shown on broadcast TV, all the relatives within driving distance would gather for the marathon, and usually bring interesting snacks.

In my teens and 20's my group of friends used to celebrate Bastille Day. Is that odd?

I have a "weird" family, we actually LIKE getting together and do so often. We get there early and stay late. We go on vacations together and I prefer them as to going with friends....is that weird in this day time when many families can't even get along for a few hours on Thanksgiving Day.......

When my aunt was alive her birthday was the 4th of July. She would get a metal pot or pan and light off a string of firecrackers in it to wake us up that morning.

We have family rebellions instead of reunions. It ain’t right if somebody doesn’t leave spinning theyre tires spitting gravel on the rest of us!

Auto Transport Service
Back