• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you reduce the torque setting when using thread locker?

Trench

Local time
6:29 AM
Reaction score
Full disclosure, I don't. Or at least I haven't in the past but maybe I should be. Let me know what you do, I have read anywhere from 10 - 30% reduction in the setting when using thread locker.

no , never heard of that. can you site your source might be interesting read

You are torquing the bolt. Thread locker does not change that. It just keeps them tight.

Loctite doesn’t say to do this in the instructions. This is a crazy idea, let’s hope it dies off.

Last edited:
No.. what are you torquing?

If you are tightening something really requires a specific torque, that's what you do. The thread locker is just to keep in place.

I've read this too. I think it's because the thread locker is lubricating the threads which changes how far the nut or bolt will turn for any given amount of torque. It's the same for oiled or greased threads.
I've never followed it myself though.

The mechanical engineers I work with reduce torque 10% when anti seize or thread locker is used. It was explained to me that the stretch of the thread is the torque result and a lube changes this characteristic.
I'm a electrical guy, so that's my disclaimer.

When a range is given I use low end and antiseize
not sure about thread locker

I've read this too. I think it's because the thread locker is lubricating the threads which changes how far the nut or bolt will turn for any given amount of torque. It's the same for oiled or greased threads.
I've never followed it myself though.
This makes no sense to me. Torque settings are when the threads and the head of the bolt are lubricated and slide against one another. NOT lubricating them is a good way to not get enough gripping power since the friction of the threads and bolt head reduce the effective torque, even though the torque wrench clicks and/or shows proper torque.

This makes no sense to me. Torque settings are when the threads and the head of the bolt are lubricated and slide against one another. NOT lubricating them is a good way to not get enough gripping power since the friction of the threads and bolt head reduce the effective torque, even though the torque wrench clicks and/or shows proper torque.
Basically, a dry bolt will drastically increase friction, and the torque required to tighten the bolt will increase, thus making you think the proper torque has been applied when actually, it hasn't. A bolt is tightened with oil not only on the threads, but under the head too to achieve the designed torque. Threads in the hole should be clean and chased too as any dirt or damaged threads will affect applied torque. I have never had an issue with thread locker, affecting torque, and just use the factory spec. I also use ARP thread sealer when bolts go to water, and use the factory spec too. The only case I am aware of is when using ARP Assembly Lube for their bolts/studs/nuts. The spec on the included instructions are for their included lube, but in the absence...

I have seen a chart for torque with their lube, and oil, but I can not find that currently. Their lube is a lot slippery, thus allowing the fastener achieve the clamp load sooner, and more consistently. If I find it, and will try to come back here and elaborate.

Example of dry and oiled threads:

BOLTS-torque.png

Also, the torque applied needs to be the spec torque plus the running (rundown) torque.

As far as "Loctite" goes, call and ask them. They have tons of products...they might not recommend a torque reduction for some of their products.

Example of dry and oiled threads:

View attachment 1104646

Also, the torque applied needs to be the spec torque plus the running (rundown) torque.

As far as "Loctite" goes, call and ask them. They have tons of products...they might not recommend a torque reduction for some of their products.
and I know you didn't say this, but just so no one else misunderstands: Dry torque is a new, clean application where the threads and bolt are perfect. Put a torque wrench on a dry, dirty, $hitty thread and bolt and you will definitely NOT get appropriate results!!!

That's a great idea, I just sent them a message and i will post the reply.

Auto Transport Service
Back