• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dock workers reveal the 'never-ending' chaos at shipping ports: 'We can't keep this pace up forever

Richard Cranium

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:54 PM
Reaction score
12 dock workers reveal the 'never-ending' chaos at shipping ports: 'We can't keep this pace up forever'

Grace Kay
Thu, October 28, 2021, 7:55 AM·4 min read

38eb7c56f1e333f70f97a5133429204b

Container ships wait off the coast of the congested ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach, in Long Beach, California, U.S., September 29, 2021. Mike Blake/REUTERS

• Ports in Southern California have broken numerous records this year as over 100 ships wait to dock.

• 12 Longshoremen described what it's like keeping the supply chain moving despite historic backlogs.

• The workers told Insider ports are running at a break-neck pace, but the situation is getting worse.
Dock workers have long been working day and night to keep the supply chain running. But, since the pandemic started, COVID-19 shutdowns and surging demand have cast the ports into chaos - and workers say there's no end in sight.

Insider spoke with 12 dock workers from across the US, including seven that work at ports in Los Angeles and Long Beach - locations responsible for over 40% of the nation's imports. The workers asked to remain anonymous to speak freely about their jobs, but their identities have been verified by Insider.

Four longshoremen with more than 20 years of experience at the major California ports said they've never seen anything like the near-record backlogs. The issues are spilling over to ports in cities like Seattle and Houston, as well, workers said.

"It's just been one thing after another," a clerk at the Port of Los Angeles told Insider. "Half of my shift is just trying to make sense of all the containers. It's a never-ending situation where I'm just constantly putting out fires. It's nearly impossible to get anything else done."

'There's barely enough room to unload the ships'
The clerk, who manages incoming and outgoing shipments, said the high volume of containers is leading to chronic disorganization and mix-ups of long-distance and local deliveries. As a result, workers are frequently forced to stop unloading ships and stocking trucks - jobs that keep the flow of goods moving - to reorganize the containers.

The backlog of goods has also made it more difficult to unload ships. The number of cranes used to discharge ships has nearly halved due to a lack of space in the ports, as well as equipment shortages, 8 workers told Insider.

7b0103bc57bc41c7604ef7cf25b86fa7

Associated Press
"Companies are packing their goods into massive ships that would require seven or eight cranes to unload them at full capacity, but no terminal can handle that many cranes on the dock," a crane operator at Port of Los Angeles told Insider. "Our job is so much more difficult when the ports are congested. Most days, I'm running with only one to two crane gangs at a time."

Even when the ships have been discharged and reloaded - a process that averaged 3.6 days in pre-pandemic times, but has since nearly doubled - it can be difficult to coordinate with truckers and make sure the right container is accessible to the cranes. Two crane operators said they've recently brought a container to be loaded onto a truck and nobody was there to pick it up.

The workers have been operating at record speed for the last year, but ports built to handle 30 to 40 ships cannot suddenly accommodate over 160 vessels.

"We can't keep this pace up forever," a union member from the Port of Long Beach told Insider. "They're never going to do it, but what needs to happen is a full shut down to only essential cargo."

'It's out of our control'
The ports are facing 30% more traffic with about 28% less workers. All 12 workers told Insider the private shipping companies that run the terminals have been reluctant to hire and train more longshoremen or utilize the International Longshore and Warehouse Union's capacity to work 24/7.

"We want to work as much as possible, but the employers don't want to pay the overtime to get these problems fixed," a part-time worker at Long Beach told Insider. "It's a balancing act, they want to scrape by with just enough workers, but the more ships that come in, the worse it gets."

f1f2e5c16d5191f3063067b5e11229ba

Marine Exchange of Southern California
Workers say that leads to a chain reaction: Ports are wary of turning ships away because they earn money from docking fees and unloading containers. Overbooked warehouses won't stop shipping goods as long as companies continue paying for the deliveries. And once the goods arrive at the ports, some importers may not be incentivized to move them quickly onto trucks because warehouse space is running out, multiple workers said.

On Monday, the Southern California ports said they would begin charging a $100 per day fee for containers left in the yards for over 9 days.

"It's a fine orchestra," a crane operator, who worked at the Port of Los Angeles for over 40 years, told Insider. "From the cranes you can see how everything has to move perfectly for things to get done. There's no room for human error, a malfunctioning machine, or a scheduling error. If just one person isn't where they're supposed to be, it wreaks havoc on the entire area."

https://news.yahoo.com/12-dock-work...tml?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=ma&guccounter=1

And you wonder how all these problems have sprung up out of nowhere in the last 9 months. So let’s rewind the clock to last year, how did everything go so smooth? What has changed? Why is this happening? Who is benefitting from this?

These freight docks have been operating just fine for decades, and now they cannot?

06F687BC-9F75-40B3-BB24-8DADFEBED477.png

Last edited:
I read that this morning, so empty the yards. I'm not buying this story. Crane operators making 250,000 a year. I suggest they step it up. My understanding is if someone says something, they cause a work slow down. I was told this personally.

Our 69 Coronet is sitting in a yard at Long Beach. It is being sent to us here in New Zealand. We purchased in late July. It's been bumped from a spot on a ship twice now, we may see it February next year if we are lucky. The price for shipping has also gone up 30% so far , and then a "congestion charge" ontop of that, but this could still go up further.
At least we already have a sweet Mopar to Cruze around in while we wait

VIN_20210910_171124_7279256082672263767.png

Our 69 Coronet is sitting in a yard at Long Beach. It is being sent to us here in New Zealand. We purchased in late July. It's been bumped from a spot on a ship twice now, we may see it February next year if we are lucky. The price for shipping has also gone up 30% so far , and then a "congestion charge" ontop of that, but this could still go up further.
At least we already have a sweet Mopar to Cruze around in while we wait

View attachment 1185998

That’s got to be frustrating and worrisome.

COSCO, China/CCP, company owns ports in CALI, CCP overloads "shipments" causing backlogs & they do NOT want to hire US Union workers "at rate"; but will hire at less then 1/2 of "RATE" of people from "other nations", see history of Maritime industry over last 30-40 yrs (ship's registry in particular)
NO CRUISE SHIP CRUISES FOR THIS GUY!!!

FYI: "AMAC" article dated June 5, 2018 has info about these ports & COSCO

Had read that one of the bottlenecks is no space to offload the containers now hunting down other areas/properties to store them. The safety procedures to stack containers went from two-high to four. One report about truckers is there isn’t a dire shortage; trucks and truckers are parked for days waiting to be loaded…meanwhile…consumer demand for stuff has been nuts. Seems as though there’s no shortage of buying chit from china and I’m among the guilty..

No worries the Transportation Tsar is on it now after he **** out some kids and had 2 PAID months rest!! National Disgrace along with EVERYTHING else that's goin on!!
R.jpg
OIP.jpg

If you’ve heard of the Foxconn factory in Racine WI (I worked on the site for a few months) to have some ‘mfg’ in the US, what a sad joke this has turned out to be. HUGE facility, lots of homes torn down to build it, highway upgrades, etc. Go figure, what was once supposed to employee over 10,000 is now, at best maybe…not sure yet, 1,200. Every time the number gets less. There will be a lot of floor space. Our state offered the chee-neese gold to build this place. And mfg in the US, such as what Carrier pulled a few years ago after making a commitment to stay? Well, can read up on how that worked out. Decades ago when the deal was moving jobs to Mexico (before the china surge)…their factory employees would make maybe two-bucks an hour, lofty wages for them – jobs that paid 20+ bucks an hour here. I try to buy American and I’m sure many of us do; but many-many more don’t. How many will pay $100 for something made in the USA when a chinny part goes for $25?

Beautiful ship but they don't do well in stormy sea's. I have a suspicion that these containers are not being sent back to break the system. It's complicated but from what I saw from a former merchant marine who teaches it all has to do with multiple companies containers need to go back to them so the ships have to make multiple stops, some for only a few containers, something they are unwilling to do. So now the port is blocked with empty containers with no place to put them. So at the cost of these arriving ships leaving them sit with goods paying wages and losing money because the ship isn't moving. This empty container thing siting taking up space this is why the ships are not unloading. So why isn't these ports sending legal notices to these companies telling them come get your property or they will be scrapped. The trucks that haul these containers also are a problem. It takes a specialized trailer to haul them. And they are in short availability for this enormous job. Just what would it cost to rent land and move them there? Once again who pays for this? Right now it's in the shipping companies lap as well as the sender of the container.

Now buy American absolutely, but just what do we make anymore? The automotive parts businesses including the dealers use parts made in China. Clothing is made over seas not just China but is any being made here? Very little. G Beck a couple of years ago was trying to market a special ball cap, the cost was twenty five dollars if made here. I don't know what he did about it but maybe nothing as he's hard core on buying American.

Like I said suspicious and as far as I known this is only California?

mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fi1213.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fcc468%2Froj77%2F2_6.jpg

These ships were commissioned by Wal-Mart to get their imported goods from China. They hold an incredible 15,000 containers and have a 207 foot deck beam! The full crew is just 13 people on a ship longer than a US Aircraft Carrier, which has a crew of 5,000. With its 207' beam it is too big to fit through the Panama or Suez Canals.

mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fi1213.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fcc468%2Froj77%2F3_6.jpg

It is strictly transpacific. Cruise speed: 31 knots. The goods arrive four days before the typical container ship (18-20 knots) on a China -to California run. 91% of Wal-Mart products are made in China. So this behemoth is hugely competitive even when carrying perishable goods. The ship was built in five sections. The sections are floated together and then weldedThe command bridge is higher than a 10-story building and has 11 cargo crane rigs that can operate simultaneously unloading the entire ship in less than two hours.
Cargo capacity - 15,000 TEU (1 TEU = 20 cubic feet)
Crew - 13 people!
First trip - Sept. 08, 2006
Construction cost - US $145,000,000 + Silicone painting applied to the ship bottom reduces water resistance
and saves 317,000 gallons of diesel per year.
Falbums%2Fcc468%2Froj77%2F6_5.jpg&t=1641576365&ymreqid=8ad870ea-20f4-9f61-1c2a-cd002101ec00&sig=.jpg

mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fi1213.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fcc468%2Froj77%2F7_5.jpg

s%2Fcc468%2Froj77%2F8_5.jpg&t=1641576365&ymreqid=8ad870ea-20f4-9f61-1c2a-cd002101ec00&sig=OVRRca.jpg

mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fi1213.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fcc468%2Froj77%2F9_4.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back