• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DODGE CHARGER 1970 - ROLL CAGE / ROLL BAR

jluisfelipe

Local time
3:17 PM
Reaction score
Hello guys, I am restoring a 1970 Dodge Charger RT. It´s going to be a mild restomod, 90% street, 10% track. I want to build a custom roll cage (pics below). It will add a safe factor, but I want it to be functional, letting passengers to enter and exit the car comfortably.
Other option I have thought is to buy a center roll bar, like Shelby style. Anyone has tried any of these options?
Any advice is more than welcome!

1970-dodge-charger-tantrum-custom-muscle-car-speedkore-designboom-09.jpg
E34.jpg

They make the swing out door bars to make it a little user friendly

In my humble opinion, it depends on how fast you think you'll go at the track. I believe a roll bar is required on a hardtop at 11.49sec/quarter mile or faster. If you think you'll go that fast, then NHRA requires a main hoop, a cross bar behind the seats (where the seat belts attach), two back braces & at least one side/angle bar next to the driver.

As moparstyle mentioned, the swing-out bars (which can be installed as removable) make it much easier to get into the front seat, for sure. The real pain in the butt is getting into the BACK seat....that cross bar is in the way, not really the main hoop, and that must be welded to the main hoop under NHRA rules.

The bottom line is that if you won't go under 11.49 sec. & you want to have passengers in the back seat comfortably, then maybe just install the main hoop & two back braces? If you want to go faster, then I think you're kind of stuck with the 5-point (or 6-point with side bar on passenger side)....the cross bar doesn't count as a "point", it's just required.

I am not looking anything official, car will go one or two days per year to a track, but it will be something local with friends, no competition. Principally, I am looking good appearance and comfort for the passengers, but adding some safety. After all, car will be a restomod, not a race car.

Auto Transport Service
Back