• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dodge options in the mid '60s

Dakar Timm

Local time
3:19 PM
Reaction score
While I'm going to strive to keep our '66 Coronet as faithfully close to factory as I can .There are a few things I's like to possibly change .
I'd like to add a vacuum operated power brake booster . Was this an option in '66?
Was an am/fm radio an option ?
I've looked at 100's of photos of dashboards of mid and late '60s Mopars .
It appears no one ever ordered the clock . For some reason having that blank compartment irritates me . I found a set of decals for all the instruments including the clock . Has anyone ever modified a clock and made it fit /
Thanks

66_Coronet0016.jpg

Yes, power brakes and FM radio were options in 1966.

I removed the power brake booster from a 66 coronet and installed it in a 67... The brake pedal assembly was different as the pushrod was a bell crank while the NON power was a straight rod.. The bellcrank pedal assembly bolted right up to the 67....... Can't say this was the norm, but that is what I encountered...

Last edited:
I dont think the clocks ever worked. I have NEVER had one in an old Mopar that did....

As for the power brake swap. you will need a different backing plate and the off set pedal/push rod set up as the diaphragm booster will sit higher than with manual brakes. Also, I would strongly recommend getting a Dual Diaphragm Booster. You will have to do some plumbing with the lines, and line block plus tap into the intake manifold at the rear with a plug to attach the booster hose. Get yourself a Factory Service Manual and a parts manual as they will help you in keeping it as correct as you would choose...cr8crshr/Bill:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::usflag::usflag::usflag:

Power brakes were optional on 1966 Coronets. The drum brake cars had a Midland-Ross single diaphragm booster. This is visually identified by a clamp holding the two booster halves together. The optional and very rare disc brake system used a dual diaphragm booster that is crimped together. These are being reproduced. As others have said, this conversion requires a special bell crank linkage at the brake pedal.
To my knowledge, AM/FM radios were not available in 1966-1967 B-bodies. I modified a 1966 Chrysler AM/FM radio by adapting my Coronet radio's angled lens to it. I had to open up the bezel slightly. I also added the Chrysler's reverberator and fader switch.
The electric clock was also an option. Usually the electric rewind on these mechanical clocks fail. I have my 1964 Polara clock out right now for quartz conversion. Classic Industries sells a neat tachometer that fits in the instrument panel in place of a clock for these cars. About $200.00.

Last edited:
Power brakes- Yes but somewhat unusual.

AM/FM- Yes but extremely rare. Good luck finding an OEM radio.

All of my first three 66/67 Coronets had the clock option, so Yes.

IIRC you can get quartz clock conversion kits.

Was an am/fm radio an option ?

In a few car I have built, I bought a retro radio that looked old, but would knock your socks off with all the latest and greatest technology.

In a few car I have built, I bought a retro radio that looked old, but would knock your socks off with all the latest and greatest technology.
I just bought one from Classic AutoSound for my 1964 Polara. I had to cut my dash and bezel to make it fit, but I am sure it will be a great addition.

Last edited:
I'll throw in another vote for converting an old radio. I got a 1970 AM radio for my 70 Road Runner. It was converted to high power, AM/FM, Bluetooth with handsfree phone option. I absolutely love it. It works great, and I use the Bluetooth almost exclusively. Only downside is when on FM, you can't really see what frequency you are tuning to. But that's OK, I use the presets for local radio stations that I like.

Here is the radio during restoration of my car (in 2015, but looks the same today)
IMG_2935.JPG

I don't smoke, so I stuck the microphone for the hands free phone in the ash tray. If I get a call, I flip open the ash tray and take the call. But when thee ash tray is closed, the dash looks completely stock.

In my opinion, this is the best of both worlds. Stock looking, yet modern capabilities.

Auto Transport Service
Back