• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does Anyone have opinion on this

We installed a vintage air system in a 67 non mopar and used a factory ac dash, vents and controls. The system is much smaller than the factory ac box and is fully electronic.

Worked like a dream The only issue is that the ac lines need to be cut to fit and crimped using a special tool. We went ahead and bought the tool because we will be using this system again

I have used Vintage Air several times with good results. One thing I learned is to zip tie the hoses onto the vents and blend box. They will fall off over time if you don't.

If that kit is a retrofit for non-A/C cars, it might not fit correctly in a car with factory A/C. Consult the maker.

I am looking to upgrade my Factory A/C 1968 Charger.

Would this work?
https://www.classicindustries.com/product/1968/dodge/charger/parts/971063.html
Let me start by saying I've never used one of those Classic Industries A/C units. OK, why do you think it will be an "upgrade" to a good-functioning, properly maintained, factory A/C unit?

I mean, the factory has a compressor, 2 heat exchangers and some switches. The aftermarket one has a compressor, 2 heat exchangers and some switches. I would not "expect" the aftermarket one to be any colder than a factory one.

The current compressor works.
I am missing the vacuum control in the engine area so I cannot control anything except the fan (on/off) and turn the compressor on.
I am also missing hoses and the evaporator is questionable.
I am also missing condenser.

Getting such a unit from Classic Industries (or whoever), should get me the parts I need and use the current Freon.

The kit is identified to work in a factory A/C car.

Let me start by saying I've never used one of those Classic Industries A/C units. OK, why do you think it will be an "upgrade" to a good-functioning, properly maintained, factory A/C unit?

I mean, the factory has a compressor, 2 heat exchangers and some switches. The aftermarket one has a compressor, 2 heat exchangers and some switches. I would not "expect" the aftermarket one to be any colder than a factory one.
Maybe not so much in function but there's a lot of benefits to them like being fully electronically controlled, much smaller box = more room to work, smaller compressors again freeing up space while neatening up the engine compartment then the fact that replacement parts are more readily available as well. Mine puts out 32 degrees temps so performance is pretty darn good too. For me I really don't like the massive old pumps and messy engine compartment caused by the factory setup although they do work well.

Maybe not so much in function but there's a lot of benefits to them like being fully electronically controlled, much smaller box = more room to work, smaller compressors again freeing up space while neatening up the engine compartment then the fact that replacement parts are more readily available as well. Mine puts out 32 degrees temps so performance is pretty darn good too. For me I really don't like the massive old pumps and messy engine compartment caused by the factory setup although they do work well.
Good points 747. Aren't the compressors "side mounted" too? If yes, wouldn't that allow you to run a six-pack/hemi oval air cleaner and/or an air grabber hood??? (I really don't know)

Good points 747. Aren't the compressors "side mounted" too? If yes, wouldn't that allow you to run a six-pack/hemi oval air cleaner and/or an air grabber hood??? (I really don't know)
The compressors are mounted just about anywhere depending on who's brackets you use. I've seen them mounted on the top, left and right plus seen them mounted very low as well. Mine is mounted right in front of the passenger side head making the plumbing more of a straight shot.

I'll add to your points as well. My car came with A/C but all of the parts under the hood was gone. That's the other reason why I went this route too

rrTor-Red,
How pleased are you with the result? Did you use the same kit?

rrTor-Red,
How pleased are you with the result? Did you use the same kit?

No. I went to Bouchillon. He had everything needed. Ill post a picture when I get home

Here is mine. It's not "factory" but the car came with A/C and it now has it. The one picture didn't have the lines connected but now it is.

#5 Rod Top Front.jpg 20161228_190144.jpg

Hi Danf_fl, Everyone that has posted an opinion have posted very good points and illustrations.
These kits that are offered by companies like vintage air and alike do have all of the items that are needed to complete an AC system install.

I was on a tight budget and so I tried to assemble a system for less and did. If you are not on a budget, it is easier and less complicated to just get the kit.

If you are interested in piecing a kit together, I can give you help if you ask for it, otherwise good luck.

Azmoparboy

39F47562-A8E6-4AB5-8F86-F692DB71D3AE.jpeg 45AC79DB-E896-4A79-89E3-00C6C863A2CD.jpeg

Here's a few pics of mine, it's an SD Concepts serpentine kit as well.
20190207_180327.jpg
20190207_180358.jpg
20190207_180337.jpg

I went with the Vintage Air system in my Dodge A100, and used Bouchillon brackets & pulleys for the engine side. It works great and I couldn't be more happy with the installation.

I would question the quality and origin of those parts in the Classic advert.

upload_2019-2-19_17-24-27.png

Biggest difference is that I used a condenser from a Toyota Van (cab over style)
upload_2019-2-19_17-26-9.png

I ordered the kit from Classic Industries.
Vintage Air dropped shipped to my house.
So far, everything looks okay, but I have not started to remove the old equipment.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the custom emblem made?
If I remember correctly these guys are Vets, really good guys to work with. I sent them a drawing of what I wanted drawn to scale, I was pretty happy especially for all that it cost.
Screenshot_20190219-083323_Samsung Internet.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back