• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does anyone know what floor panels fit on a 1978 Magnum?

StenTarvo

Local time
7:59 AM
Reaction score
Im buying a Magnum and the passenger floor panel "feels soft" im wondering how much it would cost and what fits.

My 78 magnum had rot at both front footwells. I used a reproduction floor pan from a third generation b body charger and cut out the parts I needed. I fits, but the stamping is slightly different. The back half of the floor pan is very different. Luckily I found a full floor pan on Craigslist pretty cheap.
20210408_175120.jpg

71-74 should be real close if not exact for the driver side.

Does your pass side have a cat hump?

73 to 79 B-body floors are all identical and the 79-81 R-body are almost the same too. 71/2 are almost identical. What ever differences there may be with the aftermarket parts will be inconsequential.

I compared the 77 I had on the rotisserie a couple years ago to every aftermarket floor pan (firewall to tail panel) picture I could find of the 71-4 cars and it took a long time to find differences. And even those were usually just slight differences in rib placement.

all 71-79 B bodies, 71-74 E body, 79-81 R bodies use basically the same floor. That being the full floor from firewall seam, to rear footwell seam.
71 B and E body floors are identical.
72 B and E body use either the 71 floor or the 73-74 floor depending on build date. The 73 floor was phased in during 1972 model production.
Only difference is the 73 version has a slight revision to the ribs stamped around the front floor plug, and two small humps near the torsion bar sockets. This was to provide clearance for the new for 73 isolated torsion bar crossmember that was added behind the transmission crossmember for 73.
So other than those small details, all 71-74 B and E body floors are identical and interchangeable.
1975 brought a revision to the 73-74 floor.
Because of Catalytic converters coming in for 1975, the floor was revised to provide clearance for the converter. All they did was add a hump under the seat. This floor was used on all 1975-1979 B bodies, and 1979-1981 R bodies too.
If anyone has rusty floors on these cars, simply purchase floors for a 1971 B or E body. Work around the catalytic converter hump, or replace the entire floor and eliminate it if desired.
AMD makes a beautiful one piece floor. In western Canada, you can purchase AMD panels from KEN's Vintage reHAB in Cranbrook BC

My 78 magnum had rot at both front footwells. I used a reproduction floor pan from a third generation b body charger and cut out the parts I needed. I fits, but the stamping is slightly different. The back half of the floor pan is very different. Luckily I found a full floor pan on Craigslist pretty cheap.View attachment 1121327
What pedals did you use for the manual conversion?

"all 71-79 B bodies, 71-74 E body, 79-81 R bodies use basically the same floor. That being the full floor from firewall seam, to rear footwell seam."

Does this apply to the trunk floor as well?

"all 71-79 B bodies, 71-74 E body, 79-81 R bodies use basically the same floor. That being the full floor from firewall seam, to rear footwell seam."

Does this apply to the trunk floor as well?

The floor pan I used was very different from the rear of the bucket seat bolt holes rearward. I would have used more of the pan if it matched better. But it didn't. Luckily my rear pans on had little spots of rust here and there that was easily fixed. And I have no clue about the trunk sheet metal.

What pedals did you use for the manual conversion?

I used another brake pedal from a 76 cordoba and modified it. The brake pedal pads are from a dodge caravan and the stainless steel dress up bezels are modified from some worn out automatic bezels I had lying around.

Buying a car that "feels soft" ? Know exactly what you're getting, before buying.

Hey Steve, I just bought a Magnum like in your signature.

TonyTee, would you PM me please?

Auto Transport Service
Back