• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does anyone paint or clearcoat their transmission?

I use the high temp paint it sticks fine
IMAG0721_BURST001.jpg

Also they sell a high temp paint that looks like the cast alum it's a bit shiny but keep s things clean and oil wipes right off ,if you want a stock look

I went to mo-tech back in the 80's, the tranny guy there said not to paint the trans as stated above because of the heat issue, but with tranny coolers and if your not pushing a **** load of h.p. why not, have'nt had any issues with any cars except the paint peeling off. So I used brake caliper paint on mine, because its for high temps. I just cleaned the case with a wire wheel and wax and greased remover did the rest.
20160809_203945.jpg

Monster transmission and most rebuild shops paint transmissions with warranties.
trans.jpg

This paper, done in the 1950's is in accordance to the thermal engineers I work with today.

http://scholarsmine.mst.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=3195&context=masters_theses

If you don't want to read it here is the the conclusion:

"On the basis of the determination, the results indicate heat losses are increased by painting. Black and white painted surfaces lose the most heat, and aluminum painted surface will lose more heat than a bare but not as much as either black or white. Even linseed oil to the surface increases the heat lost. These results are in accord with results found by Allen (1) Day (5), and Taylor (24). Allen found a greater heat loss by a white painted radiator than by an aluminum painted radiator. The increase was 10 to 15 per cent. He considered the increase or decrese in heat dissipated as the result of changing the emissivity of the surface. Day used pipes, similar to hot air ducts in his investigation."

Auto Transport Service
Back