• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does anyone use air ratchets anymore?

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:24 PM
Reaction score
Mine is wearing out. The pressure can be at or above 100 but the ratchet often bogs. I see TV shows and such where guys are almost always using cordless ratchets, hammer=type guns, etc. Are they used on TV only because of the noise that a compressor makes?
I'd upgrade to one if there are no good air ratchets being made anymore. What do you guys think ?

I like air ratchets more then cordless. Never have to worry about it going dead. The snap on guy got most of the techs convert to cordless at the last shop I work at. But for 200-300 dollars for cordless, it didn’t impress me. I had good luck with Napa air ratchets. At that same shop, I was helping another tech put a hood on and the cordless ratchet he had died on the first bolt. He forgot to plug it in and his other battery was broken from being dropped. Back to the air ratchet. Plus, all my power tools are air, the hose will always be there. I also didn’t like the bulkness of the cordless. The only cordless I would like is 1/2 impact or a sawzall

i bought a 3/8 ingersoll rand one a couple of years ago
and i have been very happy with it.
it was over a hundred bucks
every other one i have had has fallen apart quickly

I use battery tools. All are Snapon. I like my 3/8 battery powered ratchet

All the time, as I have been for many years. Always lube before each use, or have an in-line oiler.

I personally like the air tools and I have an assortment, but all are cheapo types from US General or Harbor Freight from long ago. My problem is that my compressor only puts out 125 psi. I don't use them a lot and they are all still working fine. I recently bought a pair of cordless ones from Ridgid. 2 guns 2 batteries and a charger and case for approx. $159.00 at the Home Depot. I never had anything cordless before and have needed one to take to the bone yard and such. The portability is great. The best part of the Ridgid pair is that they have a lifetime warranty on the tools, charger and batteries! Registration took over a month but they are nice tools. If you need power and don't mind Harbor freight, they sell a cordless called the Earthquake XT for $240.00, not cheap but it puts out 1200 foot lbs. Good luck with your decision!

Thanks. I do prefer the air tools. I use them in construction and here at home in the shop. All have the same fittings for interchangeability. I just see so many people using cordless stuff, I just wondered if I was the last guy to still like air powered stuff.

Thanks. I do prefer the air tools. I use them in construction and here at home in the shop. All have the same fittings for interchangeability. I just see so many people using cordless stuff, I just wondered if I was the last guy to still like air powered stuff.
I still like air powered tools at home. Seems like if there is a problem with cordless stuff replacements end up using a different style battery BUT i would like to get a cordless impact for working on my farm equipment when broke down miles from the shop.

I have a sweet Cornwall air rachet thing is a good 15 years old! Starting to loose a little umff my father in law has a snap on battery rachet it is decent but lacks power but it's not designed for touq it's just a fast way to get a bolt on or off you'll need to still brake it loose (most air can't do this!) And you still need to tighten (most air will do this but you still need to check on certain things!)

I use air tools all the time, including my air ratchets(1/4' & 3/8"). I prefer Ingersoll Rand for quality/price. Snap-On is just way over priced. I also have cordless everything, but use them more in a pinch than for a large repair.

Ingersoll_Rand-109XPA-image.jpg

Snap on 1/4" and 3/8" air ratchets here. The cuddles stuff is cool and lots of folks convert over but I still prefer air when it comes to the ratchets... I use my cordless 3/8" impact all the time, but then the battery dies ! Out comes the air !

I like using a battery powered drill for outdoor purposes, but I'm on my 4th one now. They keep changing the battery systems, so it becomes obsolete when the battery dies.

Mine is wearing out. The pressure can be at or above 100 but the ratchet often bogs. I see TV shows and such where guys are almost always using cordless ratchets, hammer=type guns, etc. Are they used on TV only because of the noise that a compressor makes?
I'd upgrade to one if there are no good air ratchets being made anymore. What do you guys think ?
I have a couple that i use and will never give up on them like all tools. Every tool has it's place and i think the boxes need to really get updated i know everyone has the bearing drawers and 110 hook up but i dont think that the space in them is good enough.

I use both air and cordless. The new generation of cordless ratchets and impacts are better than the older stuff. I have a 12v Milwaukee 3/8' ratchet at work that is great. At home, it's all DeWalt - the 20v 1/2" impact will bruise your knuckles.

I have 2 Snappy 3/8 air ratchets one is over 20 yrs old and still working well. Ingersoll 1/2 and 3/8 impacts Titanium models that are awesome. A Makita cordless impact and a Snappy 1/4 cordless that is great for dash work. Might invest in a cordless ratchet so as not to drag the hose around.

I still use my pneumatic ratchet .........................occasionally.
Don't have any battery tools other than one drill.

I've never been a fan of air ratchets, they seam to be pretty guttless but maybe I've never had a really good one (mine were IR). I have a friend that runs a garage and uses a battery operated SnapOn impact and wouldn't be without it, he loves it. I've used it and it is very impressive plus small, his is a 1/4" drive. Myself I really like the butterfly impacts, with a swivel hose attachment they can fit in tight spots and have a ton of torque. Wouldn't be without mine but plan on getting a battery operated one like his someday.

I have an air ratchet, but I don't use it much. Admittedly, even though it is older, it is an off-brand unit, and it is loud enough to wake the dead. So I just seem to gravitate towards using hand tools. If I need extra power or if I have a lot of nuts and bolts to remove, then I tend to go with my air gun. For fastening, I prefer the feel of doing it by hand, likely because I have been dumb enough to strip some stuff before using power!!! :poke:

I seem to mostly use this, but I am willing to learn if I am missing a useful tool!!!
upload_2018-1-28_21-10-57.png

Auto Transport Service
Back