• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does this stamped no on front of radiator core support match anything?

That is a metal stamping number form manufacturing. It starts with SS. It doesn’t have enough digits for the SO number.

Look around on other panels and you will find similar numbers where no SO will ever be. Like the hood latch support, hood hinges, cuda header panel and rear valence brackets, etc.

You can really see more of them on a bare shell of a car. They are on the Windshield pillar posts and most of the pieces that support the cowl and firewall. On the index where they are covered up.

Go out and look at your car. These number are all over. I can take phots and tell locations later if needed.

OK - well that's confirming more of what I was coming to suspect. Very confident this is a real Hemi car as the VIN plate and rivets look identical to my 67 car and I have zero suspicion it's been messed with. But I've concluded the fender tag on it is from another Hemi car. This has both good and bad ramifications. I thought this car had had a color change from Dk Blue with black vinyl top to all Black - but I've been over just about every place on this car and I have yet to find any evidence of blue paint. It's just overwhelming that this car has always been black. I've looked at every chip underneath, on the body and in the engine bay and there's just no blue anywhere. A few of the emblems were masked off like the Plymouth emblem on the roof pillar and painted around and there is no sign of a vinyl top having been cut around it. To me at least an original black car is a positive. Also the trim tag shows no radio and it sure looks like a factory installation although it's difficult to be sure of that. The one thing I have not done yet is pull the back seat to see if a build sheet is still there.

As soon as I get my title back from the state I'll send it off to the Chrysler Historical Society and hope they can pull up the records on the car. I understand that if they have the records, they will reproduce a correct fender tag for the car - is that still the case?

In the meantime - if anyone knows someone with an originally dark blue Hemi Satellite without a trim tag - I may have it.

That is a metal stamping number form manufacturing. It starts with SS. It doesn’t have enough digits for the SO number.

Even it that's the case I'm still pretty convinced I don't have the correct trim tag. I guess I'll find out when I try to get the build records on the car.

OK - well that's confirming more of what I was coming to suspect. Very confident this is a real Hemi car as the VIN plate and rivets look identical to my 67 car and I have zero suspicion it's been messed with. But I've concluded the fender tag on it is from another Hemi car. The one thing I have not done yet is pull the back seat to see if a build sheet is still there.

As soon as I get my title back from the state I'll send it off to the Chrysler Historical Society and hope they can pull up the records on the car. I understand that if they have the records, they will reproduce a correct fender tag for the car - is that still the case?

Have you checked for the SO numbers behind the rear bumper? There may be SO numbers there.

Chrysler historical may have a copy of the IBM card for the car. They do not reproduce fender tags. Reproducing fender tags is another topic. Getting a correct tag is still another topic.

Haven't had a chance to get behind the rear bumper and not sure which side of the frame rail it's on. Too cold here right now to open the garage door to get back there.

Are you sure about the reproduction trim tags through the Chrysler Historical Society? They discuss it on their web site and even have the pricing stated.

As 69Coronetrt said, Chrysler Historical should be able to get you a copy of the IBM punchcard. This is the only thing that ties the VIN to the SO number.

Don't be shocked to see a factory mistake being made in the car's identifcation points. For my Satellite, the fender tag, Certicard, and window sticker all show the car as LL1 turquiose. But there's no question the car was born WW1 white. The IBM card is the only thing that lists the car as WW1 white. In fact, you can see that the window sticker originally had LL1 typed on it and someone crudely attempted to erase the LL and handwrote WW over it in ink. My theory is someone made a mistake on one of the three (probably the fender tag), and the other two (the Certicard and window sticker), just followed along and copied the mistake.

If you get a copy of your IBM card, Fastback Jon at http://www.1966-67chargerregistry.com/ can decode it for you. He does a great job.

I may have gotten confused trying to find a current website for Chrysler Historical Services which I'm not sure they still maintain. But in all the googling around this website for MMC Detroit came up and in reading through it there were many references to Chrysler Historical Services and I probably didn't fully understand their relationship with the historical society. To reproduce a trim tag they say they must first have a record of the cars build from FCA LLC - Historical Services and again references their contact info. So yes, the Historical Society itself with FCA (or whatever they are now) does not provide reproduction fender tags.

I assumed they had a pretty cozy relationship with the Historical Services but that may not be the case.

Our 67 has the numbers on the rad frame, body code plate and back brace all matching. The number at the back is on the rear cross/trunk brace. If you take the bumper off, it is stamped into the brace.

A 1966 VIN tag should not be identical to a 1967. They are very different and it doesn’t matter the build date or plant.

66 has a stamped rib around the outside edge and stamped in “vehicle no”

67 is all flat with a black border and says Chrysler Corporation, vehicle number and the pentastar in black.

8770D3C5-B453-4BAB-8708-BCB4143FF9B7.jpeg C5091063-CDA9-4B02-9F74-7FA89E208FCC.png

Trying to post stamping on rear brace. They are on driver’s side.
A 1966 VIN tag should not be identical to a 1967. They are very different and it doesn’t matter the build date or plant.

67 is all flat with a black border and says Chrysler Corporation, vehicle number and the pentastar in black.

View attachment 1066367 View attachment 1066369
On the 67 Charger, the the last 5 digits of the shipping order are on the rad support, fender tag and rear cross brace, they all match. Rear one is little to the driver`s side.

View attachment 1066367 View attachment 1066369
I probably wasn’t clear enough - almost all the black is worn off of my 67 and the 66 doesn’t have any - but I figured it had just been sanded or chemically wiped off for repainting. I mostly studied the rivets and they are the same and the degree to which the rivets are set and slight puckering of the plate around them looks the same.

My fault for poor choice of wording and not being clearer.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/VHoFypkCRpKt20JbFVYd4A._PXgGfltcT2o7LD_glxxvi

Last edited:
I guess you don't have have a build sheet?

Fran - that’s another thing I haven’t done yet - pull the back seat.

Guess that would the logical thing to do as it would show everything. Since it’s been reupholstered I’m fearing it’s gone but I need to look. Lousy cold weather is hampering me some.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back