• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dollars in time.

gdrill

Just enjoying "B"-ing here
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:22 AM
Reaction score
Stuck in the past, just North of Montana....
So debt is usually thought of as a number. Sometimes we think of this number as large or small. Sometimes we have a plan to eventually relieve the debt. Well, when it comes to national debt, most don’t realize the extent or magnitude of it. Here is a little example of numbers converted to time, because we can grasp that easier.

1 million seconds equals 11.57 days.

1 billion seconds equals 31.71 years.

1 trillion seconds equals 31,709.79 years!

The current U.S. national debt is 27+ trillion dollars and climbing fast. $100,000 +/- every 3-4 seconds. The link below is a clock. It is almost unbelievable.

https://www.worldometers.info/us-debt-clock/

Last edited:
So, it looks like (excluding interest costs) the debt will use up $27 per second for the next 31,710 years.
The good news is the federal government is currently taking in $108,000. per second. Perhaps they can pay it down early. :)

Reason I voted for Perot in 92... Pay if off... I've never lived in debt & I'd prefer my country learn to live by my example...

The math is good, I didn't need it to know the debt will never be paid and most people in my opinion have no clue.....and the rest don't care. sad....Thanks for all that and have a nice day

Stop giving money we don't have to people who refuse to help themselves. It's called a hand up, not a hand out. That debt will never be paid back and they never spent any of it on me. How many can we invite to the party and all share one bag of potato chips, before we all run out.

Show me a major US corporation that doesn't have debt.

Managed debt is a tool.

I agree, however, the US debt is out of control.

Why not re-institute debtors prison and throw all the politicians in it.
They can pay their "debt" to society.
(Just kidding of course)

Its not the debt that is looked at by the government, its the interest payable on the debt that is. Economists have long said that its better to receive $1 trillion and only pay the interest forever. That's a great way to put money in the bank. Government debt will never be paid off. They never really intended to.

Government debt isn't like personal debt...like you want to pay off in your lifetime. Government debt can be paid over generations or not even paid off. Just pay the interest.

When I was a kid my first boss had a quote which I never forgot.

“Money is no object when you don’t have any”

Show me a major US corporation that doesn't have debt.

Managed debt is a tool.

I agree, however, the US debt is out of control.
Well, Apple Computers doesn't have net debt, the company is worth 2.2 Trillion dollars right now.

I said debt, not net debt.

Apple is an oddball in many ways.

Rising debt slows income growth, increases federal interest payments, pushes up interest rates, reduces our ability to respond to the next recession or emergency, burdens younger and future generations, and increases the risk of fiscal crisis. The debt we have now is in no way a good idea. That's like saying having 20 thousand in credit card debt is ok as long as you pay the interest every month. I get that a house and car loan are fine, but would you think adding on a neighbor's 20 thousand credit card interest every month a good thing. I personally think not.

When we as a country borrow money from China only to turn around and give money to China as foreign aid makes zero sense... There was a time when our country actually had money in the bank.... Now we have banks in our money...

Reason I voted for Perot in 92... Pay if off... I've never lived in debt & I'd prefer my country learn to live by my example...
Smiley Amen Brother Hulk Hogan.jpg

There used to be a thread on this topic, but it died (or was moved to political) during Trump's time in office. I thought it was that the debt didn't matter as long as we gave breaks in taxes to the super rich and businesses. Its kind of amusing that all of the sudden the debt has become a thing to wine about again. Its two faces and about not giving to those who make little and giving to those who make lots.

Yeah I know but I just couldn't say no or later to those car parts lol...

Yeah I know but I just couldn't say no or later to those car parts lol...

Full disclosure, I had a car loan once... Hated it... Paid it off early & haven't had another.. Saved & paid cash for my house.. Been told many times it's smarter to have a mortgage & keep money in the bank... Don't care, I like not owing a bank.. Came close to buying more than I could afford this last time but chose the conservative route. So boringly predictable...

And as far as Jcharger's comment I don't care who's in office I don't like spending what you don't have... But no matter who is in office they all seem to think more spending is good...

Auto Transport Service
Back