• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

donor roof skin warping??

mopar4don

Local time
4:04 PM
Reaction score
I am looking for the best way to go about installing this donor roof skin and appreciate your input.
Thank you

I patched the back rear window channel
I was planning on sanding the skin down to bear metal, then removing the skin.
Then rust converting both sides (inner and outer)
Then epoxy priming both sides
Then welding the skin onto the car

I am concerned about the skin warping on me, by creating to much heat when sanding using this style of stripper.
20200702_162952.jpg

some pics of the donor roof skin,
and yes the donor skin came off of a vinyl top car but has very fine pitting which is why I plan on rust converting

20200702_161310.jpg

20200702_161447.jpg

That's a good tool, and if you manage your passes over the metal in a regular smooth motion, not staying in one spot for more than a second....you should be fine. I run a shop fan over surfaces when I work them...and that dissipates heat very well also

That's a good tool, and if you manage your passes over the metal in a regular smooth motion, not staying in one spot for more than a second....you should be fine. I run a shop fan over surfaces when I work them...and that dissipates heat very well also
Thanks Durandal25, I keep it moving skipping around. I just dont know how much heat is to much! But I do like the fan idea. Thanks

Thanks Durandal25, I keep it moving skipping around. I just dont know how much heat is to much! But I do like the fan idea. Thanks
When I sand, I don't like the metal to get too hot to touch. If you find that your using more than a few pounds of force to get the surface rust to shift, then check the grit or the abrasive you're working with....flapper disks work waaaaayyy better for this kind of deal too.....like 320 grit.....you'll be amazed how well they work.....very little heat load, and cheap.

Id try and mock it up and clamp it down and much as possible to help reduce the warping.

As far as the amount heat goes; so long as you can lay your hand on it without burning or discomfort you should be fine, however that is a big piece of metal and if you focus on a specific spot or area, then problems can occur. I would do it in 3rds or quarters and clean areas away from one another just to be on the same side.

It would be helpful to know how others have done this. I appreciate everyone's opinion but I tend to agree with 70chall440 and have it locked down before sanding it.

I had a similar situation when I blasted a door skin. It turned out worse than I thought and I decided to replace it with a skin.
When I separated it, it warped like a pretzel!
My sandblaster friend told me that you have to be very careful when blasting large flat panels with no body lines or line breaks. As the breaks tend to hold the metal from moving.

Does anyone have any links showing how other have replaced donor skins?

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back