• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Don't Let Indy Cylinder Heads Build You An Engine

74Beeper

Local time
11:26 PM
Reaction score
Well,

Back in 2013 I had Indy build me a 440ci 600hp small block engine. All brand new parts including an R3 Siamese block. I paid $11,000 for this motor and I was stoked to get it. Ever since I was a young lad I had always heard how Indy built bad *** fast Mopar engines. Well, 2015 rolled around and I finally got the engine in my Roadrunner. Before the car ever hit the street it went on MCR's chassis dyno. Well while on the dyno I noticed steam coming out the crank case breather. Upon further inspection it was discovered I was getting water in the oil! I drained the crankcase then pressurized the radiator and water was pouring out of the oil pan. Out came the engine and I sent it back to Indy. They found out they had screwed up a head gasket while assembling the engine and they would fix it under warranty. So, I figured this would be a great time to do some upgrades, I wanted a roller cam, more compression and some Indy 360-1 aluminum heads. Total of $6000 dollars in upgrades. When they told me the cam they were going to install I questioned it would be too big for my compression ratio even though they were raising it to 11.1. They said not to worry, they've been putting this cam in engines for years and it would be fine. Well, I got the engine back in the car and the first thing I noticed is it wouldn't idle. No matter what I did it would want to die due to the low cylinder pressures from the huge cam. Like I expected, the cam was too much for the comp ratio. Then, I noticed a serious oil leak coming from the rear of the engine. I pulled the transmission and discovered they had ripped the oil pan gasket when assembling the engine the second time (see pics). I put a new pan gasket in, locked the timing at 40* because this was the only way it would idle at all and went for my maiden voyage. When I got back I looked under the car and noticed oil leaking from the front of the engine now. I discovered the front seal was leaking too!!! You could see that the seal was pressed in about 1/4" crooked!!! Well, I put in a new front seal and drove the car about 500 miles until I just couldn't take it anymore. I contacted Ryan J at Shady Dell Speed Shop and he told me exactly what I needed to do. He said I need less cam and more compression. He convinced me to tear apart my second time built shitty running leaking $17,000 built by Indy engine and do it right. So, I pulled the heads and sent them to Ryan so he can mill them down and do a lil porting then custom grind me a new cam. Well, when I pulled the heads off I found 2 broken push rods!!!! This engine doesn't even have 500 miles on it!!!! (See picture)

If anyone out there is planning on having Indy build them an engine..... THINK TWICE!!! I'm so disgusted with these unprofessional clowns that I refuse to even try to contact them. I will NEVER do business with them again. They do make some great speed parts such as heads and intakes but safe yourself the hassel and buy them from a dealer such as Ryan J at Shady Dell Speed Shop and DO NOT let them build you and engine!!!

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Humph, I applied for a job at indy about 6 or 7 years ago when they put out an ad looking for help. They should have hired me.
Sorry to see this. I thought your car was done and everythong was tight.

We are all feeling your pain. Hopeful that it will be smooth sailing from here.

You're not the first person to get the shaft! It doesn't matter how much you spend with them either! A guy I know spent close to 1/4 million with them for his race cars and still got screwed!

I was under the impression that they dyno every complete engine, and that you can be there on dyno day to watch..Sorry for your loss.

I was under the impression that they dyno every complete engine, and that you can be there on dyno day to watch..Sorry for your loss.

they do and I was there for both dyno sessions on both engine build attempts but these issues did not surface until the engine was in the car.

- - - Updated - - -

Now, instead of my engine bay looking like this.......

image.jpg

It looks like this.....

image.jpg

...still a nice looking engine bay tho'.

just sayin'.........

Thanks Shorty...... Ditching the dual quads though..... I'm losing at least 50hp with them. Going with a Victor W2 intake and a 1050 Dominator.

I feel for you I have had my own problems but you would think Indy would be top notch... wow I could not afford this to happen to me hope somehow you get taken care of by Indy

My opinion is everybody should at least try to build their own motors. I have a tough time trusting anybody to build a motor and taught myself with a manual. The big difference to me is for one you only have yourself to blame, 2 it's your money so you'll be more diligent, 3 you tend to triple check everything for fear that you'll screw up and most importantly it's an awesome feeling hearing it fire the first time.

I think what happens in these cases is builders get to cocky and confident because they've done it a thousand times and things slip by because they don't have the doubt a novice builder would have. Study the manuals, learn the oiling system, match the parts, pay attention to torque specs, don't skimp, double check all clearances, be very clean and when you run into something questionable stop and do the research before going forward. I've built many motors and the only failure I've ever had was a rocker arm bolt broke on a maiden voyage on a 460.

Last edited:
I bought my first Indy product around 2002. Once I had gone through them with my machinist, I realized I'd never, ever want them to machine or assemble anything. That was reinforced in about 2006 when I was tasked with fixing a "500hp" B wedge crate engine they had built. Always buy through dealers. Always have the parts and assemblies carefully inspected before use.

Sorry to hear this. This is just yet another story in a long line of Indy Cylinder Heads list of crap work and poor, Ahhhh, well everything else you would expect from a decent dealer.

Very sorry to hear this. This is another reason I am glad I am an auto tech and build my own engines. That way if anything goes wrong I can only blame myself. Good luck with the rest of it. Ron

Dude I would pull the shortblock apart and have a look at it too.....

If you haven't already committed to "Shady Deal", you need to do some research (YellowBullet, Moparts, etc...) Ryan has a horrible rep with the fast Mopar crowd and has all but retreated from posting on these boards anymore. He has ruined many a cylinder head and block, machining and tolerances are NEVER right, head work and assembly is horrible. I've seen it all first hand and know many other guys with horror stories. Stick with a reputable builder, regardless whether they are supposed "Mopar Guru's". PM me for pics of what you can expect and a contact list of former suckers. We all keep pictures and record the garbage he has charged people for. He's got an excuse for everyone of them, but you can only screw up peoples stuff and charge them for it for so long. Why do you think he is so hard to get ahold of?

WHY haven't YOU filed a Complaint with the BBB on this? Your preaching to the wrong choir here. Sorry about the PITA situation your in.

Dude I would pull the shortblock apart and have a look at it too.....

Ended up going through the short block as well. Good thing I did. INDY had that all screwed up too.

- - - Updated - - -

If you haven't already committed to "Shady Deal", you need to do some research (YellowBullet, Moparts, etc...) Ryan has a horrible rep with the fast Mopar crowd and has all but retreated from posting on these boards anymore. He has ruined many a cylinder head and block, machining and tolerances are NEVER right, head work and assembly is horrible. I've seen it all first hand and know many other guys with horror stories. Stick with a reputable builder, regardless whether they are supposed "Mopar Guru's". PM me for pics of what you can expect and a contact list of former suckers. We all keep pictures and record the garbage he has charged people for. He's got an excuse for everyone of them, but you can only screw up peoples stuff and charge them for it for so long. Why do you think he is so hard to get ahold of?

Funny, cuz I haven't been able to find one negative post on Ryan..... Not saying there aren't any out there but I haven't seen one yet besides yours. I've never had any trouble contacting him and he always gets back to me with detailed and understandable answers. He did my heads and shortblock and so far it's the best work I've had done.

Auto Transport Service
Back