• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DON'T SCARE ME JUST DARE ME.

blue69runner

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:26 PM
Reaction score
I remember when we had a 70 Duster with a 440 with two double pumpers on it. Would go out to the burger place that you drove up and they put the tray on the window. We also just cruise around town and see anyone wanted to race. We tore up all kinds of stuff on the car and worked all week to fix it up for the weekend. Lots of other guy's we did not know would make statements like what ya go under the hood I have this or that want to race. So Don't Scare Me just Dare me. That is what friends are for Like how long of a burn out can you do. Well just throwing out a few thing's.

Weekend nights in the early 70s for me was a time I would love to revisit.
Lots of great times, cold beer , fast girls ,fast cars. Ahhhh the good old days.

The guy that had the power to smoke the tires a city block had the respect but got beat by a 318 in a Duster because it couldn't spin a tire. :lol:

Lots of great times, cold beer , fast girls ,fast cars. Ahhhh the good old days.
You’re lucky you got to enjoy it, 20 years before my time. My people don’t want to do that stuff anymore. A time machine would be awesome

Worked at the local Gulf station and had access to the used tire bin. Would go on Friday afternoon and mount up a set of rears with the best tread I could find in the bin and go burn em up over the weekend or that night sometimes. You could still drink and drive back then so we would just cruise the main strip all night looking for action.

You’re lucky you got to enjoy it, 20 years before my time. My people don’t want to do that stuff anymore. A time machine would be awesome
I was lucky to work at the speed shop back in the mid to late 70's. Every day was a car show. Every night was race night.

Scan.jpg

img142.jpg

img133.jpg

I love those pics Mike.
Lol , tee shirt in a bag.
That was a nice organized shop !

I had a new 1969 383, automatic Super Bee with factory 3.91's, back in the day. Many unsanctioned exhibitions of accelerative prowess.
The older I get, the faster I was!

I hate to admit it young bro - but a bit more than 20 years before your time. We’re talking the mid-60’s to the late 70”s. That was the golden era of muscle cars, street racing, drive-ins, hot young chicks, and cold beer all at the same time. There was nothing like it and never will be anything like it again. A young guy like you that loves all these things in this day and age - yeah it’s really too bad you never even got to sniff it. Really something back then.

I hate to admit it young bro - but a bit more than 20 years before your time. We’re talking the mid-60’s to the late 70”s. That was the golden era of muscle cars, street racing, drive-ins, hot young chicks, and cold beer all at the same time. There was nothing like it and never will be anything like it again. A young guy like you that loves all these things in this day and age - yeah it’s really too bad you never even got to sniff it. Really something back then.
I know, especially in my area, mostly old farts with Chevys, that the only time they’re out is at a car show, and only if it’s the perfect weather. And then all they do is lawn chair racing, bragging about who’s car is shinier, and bitching at us younger guys because our cars aren’t to their satisfaction. Yeah F that, let’s cruise Main Street again!

I’ve been to Summers Last Blast nostalgia cruise, in Vernon TX a few times. Not as good as Woodward’s, or Van Nuys, but it’s the closest, and the closest I’ll get to the good days.

The tuner crowd still does alot of cruse race nights. It's different than my days of the 70s. But it's their thing. I do not get disrespected putting around in the GTX. Plenty of thumbs up. Their cars are certainly faster street light to street light. But the old Plymouth can still give them a surprise on the freeway. I have thought about building up the big old Wedge engine and get some steeper gear. But the old gal runs as it always has. Very well. And I've never pulled a motor that doesn't need fixing. With the knowledge that I am capable of screwing up something that isn't in need. Lol. So I'm the old guy with the cool old street Plymouth.

Friday and Saturday night back in the day. Cruised central ave from sun down till sun up. Had my 64 dodge always picking on those bow ties and ovals. Go out to beeline dragway until it shutdown. Those were the days i feel for you younger guys that never got to do what us old farts did.

Friday and Saturday night back in the day. Cruised central ave from sun down till sun up. Had my 64 dodge always picking on those bow ties and ovals. Go out to beeline dragway until it shutdown. Those were the days i feel for you younger guys that never got to do what us old farts did.
I only refer to them that way because they are like a fart. You don’t want to be around them.
:lol:

Not saying there is anything wrong with sitting in a hot parking lot all day, or a field, some people enjoy that. But I rather be cruising.
:thumbsup:

The guy that had the power to smoke the tires a city block had the respect but got beat by a 318 in a Duster because it couldn't spin a tire. :lol:
I smoked the tire on my sisters 73 Duster about 300 ft, without power braking. Just had to smoke a guy in a Grand Prix who was power braking, and did.

I drove an 85 Dodge pickup, 318 2bbl in high school, I’d smoke the tire every chance I got…I wanted to kill that damn engine so I’d have an excuse to put a big block in it, those damn 318s don’t die
:rofl:

Fond memories of Hall Street in St. Louis during the late 60's & early 70's. In the commercial district, it was long, straight & wide. It was the go-to place to hang out and see cars, girls and drag races on Friday and Saturday nights. The cops would show up occasionally and tell us we had to leave. We'd cruise the drive-ins for a while, maybe eat a burger & fries, and then head right back over to Hall Street!

00 70s.jpg

Fond memories of Hall Street in St. Louis during the late 60's & early 70's. In the commercial district, it was long, straight & wide. It was the go-to place to hang out and see cars, girls and drag races on Friday and Saturday nights. The cops would show up occasionally and tell us we had to leave. We'd cruise the drive-ins for a while, maybe eat a burger & fries, and then head right back over to Hall Street!

View attachment 1318221
Those were the days!

I’ve been told in Weatherford Tx, when interstate 20 came through in the late 60s early 70s, it was paved but not open as a public highway. So the street racers starting going there. Someone asked the cops if they were going to do anything about it. They said why? Better here then public streets.

Late 70's-early 80's, northern Virginia somewhere....my late teens/early 20's.
There was a full-blown Friday night racing schedule, organized and the whole thing, set up in
a prominent industrial park after dark - and yes, very much illegal.

For a few years, it was strictly street machines and such, but towards the end of things, cars
started showing up on trailers and were full-blown race cars.
It went from merely street guys driving their daily hotrods to damn near a professional series!
We had lookouts posted at either end of the park (only ways in/out of the place) with CB's and
police scanners and that worked great - up until time that things got so out of hand that the
cops actually put together a large team to stop us....

One Friday night, I'm leaning up against the hood of my (*cough*) '68 Chevelle, chatting away
with a security guard from one of the warehouses who came out to watch, having a blast watching
all the festivities - when all hell broke loose.
Here came the cops, not just from one end but from BOTH ends, tons of them - and everyone acted
like rats, fleeing the scene in one direction, only to be turned around by even more cops!

I always made a point to hang out right by the dead end of things, next to a vacant dirt lot that exited
out to a back road (and our favorite 7-11 within walking distance, hence becoming our unofficial
concession stand).
I see all the commotion and proceed to treat my car like a 4x4, bouncing and hauling *** across that
dirt field - but rather than directly jumping on that back road over there, I ditched behind the 7-11,
knowing there was just enough room on the far side of it to squeeze a car in unseen...
I hung out in there, chowing down on nasty chili dogs, as I watched car after car get impounded and
dude after dude get free rides in paddy wagons.
I didn't get home until 3am that night, but I did so reallllll quietly, backroads all the way....
and that was the end of the "Newington Dragway".
True story - and my training ground for what little racing I've ever done in my life.

Talk about stuff that can't happen today - well, there ya go.

Main St. Walnut Creek every Fri Sat some Sundays too (or Antioch 10th street)
from 1974-75-ish
(summers only till like 78, I was living Georgetown area in the foothills with my dad, till June 77')
to 1983/84-ish
I turned 21 in July 1980, I was in my prime
my 68 Charger R/T was my main streetcar at 1st
or after 1979 my 68 Sport Sat
(mom's old 383 4bbl 4-speed car, they ordered new, that I traded dad a 71 Demon for)
w/440/TF transplant 2x4bbl 513cid real 11. sec. streetcar on real DOT M/T street tires

we'd cruise for ladies & troll for races

(I also had Camaros, Trans Ams, 442s, GSs, Firebirds, GTOs, V8 Vegas
old Ford Coupes, 69 Boss 302, over the years, you name it, I took it out there
)

then when the WC PoPo, would start to shut it down around midnight
we'd go out to Encino Grande off Concord Ave & Willow Pass
sit around & bench race, until the races started like 1:00am 2:00am
select/call out a victim & the whole place would clear out
& follow up to
Ignacio Valley (or just right up Willow Pass, if they weren't too loud)
between Concord & WC, we'd race full 1/4 mile
must have made several 100's of passes out there
lots of great memories of that time of my life

(or go out to Pittsburg & race, lots of the Brotherhood was out there)

I even took my T/S-Outlaw Pro-stock car, or my Pro-Gas (8.50) 49 Ford
out on Ignatio Valley
big $$ race with some guy from out of town, mouthing off
my house in Turtle Creek, Concord suburbs was just a few blocks away
I could see it from my 2nd story deck

after a while the owners of Safeway/Encino Grande shopping center
wanted US out
we even got a group of people to go meet with the owners
we always made sure to clean up & left no garbage, no beer/soda cans etc. etc. etc.
but they were worried about second party liability, someone getting hurt
the LEOs pretty much left US alone, we didn't harm or hurt anyone
(I know for a fact they knew about it, my best friend/roommate Jeff
was the son of a CHP Lt. night shift
)
so it ended after almost 10 years

I loved them days/nights, had many a night out there
& many a day prepping to go out there
even after racing at Fremont, Sacramento or Sears Point earlier in the day
take out the 'streetcar', go play & check out the ladies

we'd go all over Calif.
Modesto San Bruno El Cerrito San Jose Cupertino Martinez Antioch Concord,
many more
Sacramento L street loop
(many times after the races or when I was in HS, living with my dad)
then go out to ElCamino to race or out by the SMUD Nuke plant

Did some races out at Fairfield, Ball Cannery rd too, by the base
after the town small cruises
get some victims to line up, if not just for bragging rights
my buddy got poped out there too, racing a Camaro in his 69 RR, he got waxed
the cops went past my buddy & went after the Camaro
he came back & got me, so we exited stage left,
he got arrested when we went into/thru town, long story, going back to Suisun City
where he was living off his sister, freaken' bum

good time in my youth

look for the 'anyone from Concord Calif.' thread,
started some 10 years ago probably by me, interesting stuff

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back