• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Door handle trouble

Car #4

Local time
8:42 AM
Reaction score
I replaced an outer door handle on a 78 D100 today. This handle is used on other mopar models. I had to push the button a bit to get the rod into the arm that it goes through. Now the door won’t open from the outside. Is there some adjustment I can make or did I simply get the wrong handles? The working mechanism of the handle was a bit different between new and old. I need to figure this out before I do the other door, can’t have two that won’t open.

464D0D7F-7C1F-42C6-A127-CC4742761A0B.jpeg

9F6FF8E7-F68A-4C9F-B801-0C735C4D9696.jpeg

6A1E98BC-B281-45F2-ADA7-7F136F6A08C4.jpeg

848FE65E-1CC1-4B79-B654-DD6697131C28.jpeg

Check the range of motion between the old and new. If you needed to push the button in the engage the rod you may not have enough left to open the door. Can you take the old actuator from the handle and put it on the new one? It looks like there is only one screw holding it on. Good luck

@Rockland71GTX that was my thinking too, that I've lost some range of travel. I could maybe move the actuator but I think I will have to move the button with it and then I lose the new chrome. The rod that hooks onto the door button arm has two bends in it so I'm wondering if I can gain some length back by straightening it. But then I might not be able to get it hooked in.
Any other thoughts out there?

Is that truck like the older cars, with a adjustable link to take up the slack? Look for a small hole in the door edge near the latch. It will receive a small hex wrench to loosen and tighten, linkage is spring loaded/self-adjusting.
Mike

As posted, ensure the handles are identical or will go down a wabbit hole. Bending linkage can take ya down the same hole trying to make an ill-fitting handle work. If there's a thread adjustment that may solve it. Watch the operation of the linkage having door panel off looking at the linkage travel using the inside handle then compare it with the outside button. There's the possibility of having linkage improperly connected such as a rod connected in reverse manner. If the passenger door handle works fine can also watch its operation as a comparison.

The rod is connected properly, I only took it off the handle, not the latch mechanism. Couldn't find a thread adjustment, that would have been too easy, lol. I have a buddy that does machining so he's going to make me a couple rods 5/16" longer. Of course he has to order in the right size of rod because Ma Mopar couldn't just use a common size. This way I should get it right without doing anything that can't be undone.

Is that truck like the older cars, with a adjustable link to take up the slack? Look for a small hole in the door edge near the latch. It will receive a small hex wrench to loosen and tighten, linkage is spring loaded/self-adjusting.
Mike
I just saw your post. I'll check that out, thanks

Auto Transport Service
Back